Loading 30 cal mags

KSB209

I want to get into reloading and looking to buy a new rifle for long range. What is easier to load the 300 win or the 300 WSM?

I am a semi experienced shooter just never reloaded. Been reading a lot and from what I can see the WSM might be easier do to the fact it is not belted. Thoughts?

Hopefully some of the experienced reloaders will pipe in... My son and I reload a number of calibers, belted and non, and the process for each is essentially the same once we're set up for a given caliber.

Jack

From a reloading point, there is little difference. Belted cases have a couple notes to follow but once done it's all the same.

Get the chambering that turns you on.

I think you get a wider variety of powders to chose from if you load for the 300 WSM.

The belt means nothing to me. I load for both. it really comes down to preference. Barrel length is key for a WM to perform. The WM is OK with 24", 26" is better, but it shines best with 28". For WSM, you can get away with a 22", 24" is better, but 26" with the WSM is a sweet package. Performance wise they are both comparable, but to get true 300 WM performance out of a WSM you have to run powders that some don't deem suitable for LRH, i.e. RL17. The "Extreme" powders won't get you there, they come up about 50-100 fps short of the big brother in the same barrel length.

For example I'm able to run a 200 Accubond from a 26" 300 WSM at 3000 fps with RL17, and 2920 fps with 7828ssc. This is very comparable to what a 300 WM does with H1000 with the same barrel length and bullet.

Have loaded both, quality dies and brass helps. Had no differences between the two except there was a little better accuracy with the 300 win as both had 26" barrels. Perhaps could have tried other bullet sizes and powders, but the rifle owners didn't want the extra expense. Good luck

Absolutely zero difference from the reloading perspective. Simply bump the shoulder back on either and rock on

Absolutely zero difference from the reloading perspective. Simply bump the shoulder back on either and rock on
That is the nit that needs to get picked.

Coaching on bumping not to follow the directions that came with the die and over do it.

Good point, for some reason there is a misconception that belted cartridges need to be headspaced off of the belt. I don't know where this came from and don't care.

Even no need to get comparator kits for hunting applications. Simply screw the sizer down in small increments until the fired brass doesn't make contact in the action.

Comparator kits make it easier and more accurately, but do this with any cartridge belted or not.

There are many threads about this

Edit: Thought that I may throw this out there shooting the H&H's; my 300H&H is not using the belt either

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.