load workup for 300 RUM...

kaseyfied

hello,

I am now trying to develop a load for my custom 300 ultra mag rifle. wanting to get it out to around 1200 yrds. do alot of big game hunting. but Ihave never reloaded before. I have purchased 208 grain amax bullets for the data. any help would be great. I think I am going to go with reloader 22 for powder. thanks in advance myfriends. will be hunting deer and elk mostly thanks everyone

kasey field

Your powder is to fast. You need to look more in the RE25, H1000, Retumbo, US 869 area or one of the slow vihtavouri powders. I shot a deer over 1000 yards this year with the 208 Amax at 3220 fps in front of H-870 powder.

The Amax bullets are to fragile for elk hunting except for the high shoulder shot. You could run into trouble there. The 200 accubond at .588 bc over 3200 fps is a better choice for elk.

Do me a favor and send me your email address, I have a ton of information I can send you. I have researched every bit of information I could find and have talked to shooters that are shooting the 300RUM out to 1000 yards to 1 mile.
What gun do you have???? What scope do you have. How long have you been reloading? I have helped many people develop loads for their 300RUM's
It is an awesome cartidge with lots of potential. What are you going to be hunting and what distances are you going to be shooting/hunting.

Chuck

Last edited:
We have a few of these and we have had great luck with the 200 grain accubonds and 90 to 91.5 of h 1000 and ccgun)i 250

As I and several others have mentioned reloder powders are way to temp sensitive for that powerful of a round. Depending on seating depth I'd use 94-98grns of retumbo with fed 215s or cci 250s.

Your powder is to fast. You need to look more in the RE25, H1000, Retumbo, US 869 area or one of the slow vihtavouri powders. I shot a deer over 1000 yards this year with the 208 Amax at 3220 fps in front of H-870 powder.

The Amax bullets are to fragile for elk hunting except for the high shoulder shot. You could run into trouble there. The 200 accubond at .588 bc over 3200 fps is a better choice for elk.

I have been shooting 100.5gn Retumbo behind 180gn Barnes tsx bullets for a
few years now and this load is super accurate and fast(3470fps) but expands primer pockets with the first loading. Pass throughs are the norm on elk out to 500yards and bullets recoverd from elk past that were 99% fired wieght. This load is hard to give up but it really isnt safe. Having said that, all other loads i have tried also expand primer pockets and are not nearly as accurate. Rl25 @ 89gns is cloose but still expands pockets, anyone out there got any sugestions as to what i can do.

I have been shooting 100.5gn Retumbo behind 180gn Barnes tsx bullets for a
few years now and this load is super accurate and fast(3470fps) but expands primer pockets with the first loading. Pass throughs are the norm on elk out to 500yards and bullets recoverd from elk past that were 99% fired wieght. This load is hard to give up but it really isnt safe. Having said that, all other loads i have tried also expand primer pockets and are not nearly as accurate. Rl25 @ 89gns is cloose but still expands pockets, anyone out there got any sugestions as to what i can do.

I've been shooting 180 E-Tips @ 3400 fps using 97.5 gr of Retumbo out of a Sendero. Primer pockets are holding well with this load. 98 gr gets me about 3440 with an occasional stif bolt and somewhat flatend 215 primers. 93.5 gr of Retumbo is pushing 210 Bergers @ 3150 without signs of excessive pressure.

-Mark

well I thank you all for the helpful info. feel free to keep it coming any and all info is aways stored in my litte head:) I shot my rifle today with some mxed feelings about it. I broke it in with 20 shots,, cleaning after everyone for the first 10.. then 2 five shot groups after.. shot decent for factory loads.. I went out to the range today to shoot some more factory loads after the recent muzzlebreak that was installed. first shot shoots pretty good. but everything after sometimes is way way way off. any ideas? I am shooting some 180 grain remingtons.. the ultra bonded ones.. terrible goups. one shoots on taget.. next shoots 7 inches high.. another shoots low lol. any chance my rife doesnt like these bullets? seems weird. barrel is a 26 inch shilen barrel.

I agree the Barnes ttsx are an excellent choice and I use them often. You can get away with the target bullets on caribou, sheep, deer, antelope, ect. but need a good quality hunting bullet when jumping up to large big game animals.

210VLD
94 gr Retumbo
Nosler Custom Brass
Fed 215M
3150FPS
3.785 COAL in my Rem 700 XCR

I, too, am working up a load for my new .300 RUM Sendero.

Spent last weekend at the range trying various loads and found that my gun really likes the Tipped TSX. I had a couple of different loads (with RL-25 and Retumbo) that were pushing the 200g TTSX at 2950fps. I loaded up some more with additional RL-25 and 3 different loads with Ramshot Magnum. I'll be shooting those over the course of the next 2 weeks and let you know how they do and provide load data. They should be pushing up over 3100 FPS.

I had several loads with (200g) Accubonds last weekend too, and they weren't grouping well at all (2-2.5" groups @ 100). I haven't given up on them yet, and I've put together a few more test loads with them as well. But, group sizes w/ the TTSX were half the size of the Accubond groups at similar velocities and same powders. I loaded some Accubonds with Magnum too, for testing, and will let you know what I find.

--Ben

well I thank you all for the helpful info. feel free to keep it coming any and all info is aways stored in my litte head:) I shot my rifle today with some mxed feelings about it. I broke it in with 20 shots,, cleaning after everyone for the first 10.. then 2 five shot groups after.. shot decent for factory loads.. I went out to the range today to shoot some more factory loads after the recent muzzlebreak that was installed. first shot shoots pretty good. but everything after sometimes is way way way off. any ideas? I am shooting some 180 grain remingtons.. the ultra bonded ones.. terrible goups. one shoots on taget.. next shoots 7 inches high.. another shoots low lol. any chance my rife doesnt like these bullets? seems weird. barrel is a 26 inch shilen barrel.

As to your first question about load data with the 208Amax, Retumbo and H1000 are the 'go-to' powders for the 300RUM. Start around 89grains and work up.

As to the troubles you are having with your shifting point of impact, check every mounting screw on the rifle - action bolt, tang screw, scope bases, scope rings. By check, I mean with a torque screwdriver so that you can be confident that everything is screwed down with the appropriate amount of pressure.

If that does not solve the issue, the next thing to look at is your scope. Might have to send it back to the manufacturer to see if there is an internal problem there.

Do me a favor and send me your email address, I have a ton of information I can send you. I have researched every bit of information I could find and have talked to shooters that are shooting the 300RUM out to 1000 yards to 1 mile.
What gun do you have???? What scope do you have. How long have you been reloading? I have helped many people develop loads for their 300RUM's
It is an awesome cartidge with lots of potential. What are you going to be hunting and what distances are you going to be shooting/hunting.

Chuck in Boise, Idaho

email: [email protected]

I will try not to over whelm you with all the information I will send you.
Take care and will be talking soon.
Chuck

Chuck - I am an experienced reloader with a new 300RUM. Would love to get my hands on any data you might have on the RUM. Will shoot you an email shortly.

Chuck in Boise, Idaho

email: [email protected]

I will try not to over whelm you with all the information I will send you.
Take care and will be talking soon.
Chuck

Interested in your load data as well. Pretty experienced reloader, Remy 700 Sendero w/ 26" tube. Email sent.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.