load suggestions??

ltrbuck

Just bought a Savage 116 BGH in a 300 WM. It has a medium heavy 24" fluted barrel with a 1-10 twist. Looking to shoot out to 1000 yds mainly for hunting and some target. Basically want to shoot a heavy rd as far and flat as possible. Thanks! gun)

Just bought a Savage 116 BGH in a 300 WM. It has a medium heavy 24" fluted barrel with a 1-10 twist. Looking to shoot out to 1000 yds mainly for hunting and some target. Basically want to shoot a heavy rd as far and flat as possible. Thanks! gun)

What do you have at your disposal now?

Pic a good bullet lots out there I shoot AMAX and Bergers. I only use 2 powders for my 300 win mag H1000 and RUTUMBO. No need for a mag primer any large rifle will get you going I use CCI BR2s. I use Nosler cases and am veary happy with them.

Thanks HITMAN! I'm just getting into the reloading game here. I was of the mindset that I needed large mag primers for this gun?

As far as bullet goes i would reccomend the 208 A max or the 210 Berger. Both have great BCs and will get the job done extreamly well. As far as the primer i would use a Mag primer to make sure all the powder is getting burnt out of a 24inch barrel. It is called a 300 Winchester MAGNUM for a reason:D

Thank you as well Sniper! Was thinking the same for primers. Any accuracy concerns with only the 24" at long ranges?

I have been shooting the berger 210 in a 300wm also with retumbo and H1000. I get a little more velocity with the retumbo and a little better accuracy with the H1000. Also have some 200gr accubonds, but haven't shot them much yet.

ltrbuck,
Yes I do, and get great accuracy (.3" and less) using 180gn Ballistic Tip and 180gn SMK. I use 75.5gn of RL22 with both but use the BR2 primer with the BT and Remington 9.5M for the MatchKing. I don't know why it makes a difference with my rifle but it does. It is a Savage 112BVSS by the way. Happy shooting! JohnnyK.

Thanks Johnny! Can't wait to get experimenting with this thing, been waiting on a scope....... How far out are you shooting those 180's?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.