Load development procedures

rlipson

I'm interested in what you folks have found to be the best load development methodology. I am intrigued with the "incremental" approach as described on snipershide. I've seen it a couple of other places as well.

Roger

I don't know the 'incremental' as described on Sniper's Hide and couldn't find it.

I begin by using good components and techniques. I load a series of the desired bullets at the desired OAL with different powder weights. The weight for each powder charge varies by a set 'step' amount. I usually try to get 20 trial loads for a bullet I'm trying (It fills the ammo box). I fire all these rounds onto one target and plot each hit. I then select from the plotted hits the 'series' of loads that produced the tightest group. I load to the weight in the center of this series and I have an accurate load that allows some temperature/velocity variation. I don't know if this is a scientifically approved method but it's been working for me for years. I only make one trip to the range for shooting and I come home with a good load (in many cases).

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.