load development depth vs powder

arrow

I read the sticky post about finding a load for berger bullets. It is talking about playing with the seating depth to find the best for your rifle. What about powder charge. Do you just start with a recommended charge and play with the seating depth and then go back and play with the powder charge? Will different seating depths prefer different powder charges?

In many discussions about this, it's a chicken or egg first type of debate.
I personally use a moderate pressure load to both fireform new brass and find a best seating depth at the same time.
Doing this up front makes ladder testing results way easier to decipher.
Use of a milder load enables me to go into lands without spiking pressure so much as to interfere with what I'm doing.
Several times I've gone back to tweeking(aka fine tuning) with seating, but so far this has not led to better results, or anything even close to 'fine tuning'.

There is another camp that decides to jam, or even soft seat, right up front & leave it there. But I declare that this is a terrible approach with hunting capacity cartridges, as best seating(most accurate) truly could be anywhere. This is what Berger demonstrated very well.
For many years it has been assumed in stone that VLDs must be jammed...
THIS WAS NEVER TRUE.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts