Load Development / Break In Compensation

jett

After a gunsmith has built a custom rifle, what would be fair compensation to ask him to completely break the barrel in and develop a good custom hunting load? Also, is there a general price range for custom loading of rifle bullets, say a 7mm mag. w/ 168 Bergers?
Thanks

Do it yourself, or you will be missing out on all the fun or aggrevation.:D
Plus you get to be a better shooter.

Tarey

Tarey,
I agree whole heartedly. I am just asking for a friend who wants a custom gun but does not have the time and desire for these tasks. He is a good candidate for a BOTW or John Burns shooting system, but he has already selected a smith and just wanted to confirm the pricing on these tasks. I don't think he had an appreciation for the time it takes to properly break in a rifle and do good load development!
Thanks

Depending on how far he wants to shoot. If it is just to 500 yards, load developement would not take that long, as you would not have to have as tight an ES, ect. Anything further out than that requires alittle more work. However, if he doesn't have the time to do load developement, he doesn't have the time to practice at longer ranges and has no business shooting past 500 anyway. You should encourage him to work with his custom rifle and learn. There is great enjoyment in the process.

Jett, I have no idea and it looks like so far no one else that's responded does either so you may want to send a pm to a couple of smiths here on LRH.

Last edited:
It's going to be the hourly service charge x amount of time it takes to develop the final load. Let's say 5 load configurations, 5 each

Meticulous prep of 25 brass .......................... .50 HR
Reloading equipment set up/tear down ............ .50 HR
Load all 25 ................................................ .50 HR
Travel to/from range ................................... .50 HR
Set up tear down of target/equipment ........... 1.00 HR
Shoot all 25/10 mins cool off/clean/sight adj ... 4.25 HR

Total hours: 7.25 HR

Example service charge (Gunsmith Price List) = $ 40

$40 x 7.25 HR = $290 (not including any materials, i.e. target, brass, bullet, powder, etc ...)

My best conservative guesstimate. Hope this helps. Good luck!

ADDED: C&P from one of the sponsors ...

Scope/sighting services
· Lap rings and mount scope…..$50
· Sight in rifle @100yds w/test target (you provide ammo) $125
· With the above option I will chronograph your ammo and provide a computer generated drop chart for your ammo out to your choice of distance. This drop chart has proven to be very, very close with the correct data entered. It will still be up to you to verify past 100yds.
· Sight in rifle @ 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600 yds. w/test targets from each yardage (you provide ammo)…..$500 *Actual dope charts will be provided w/rifle.
· I will only except this last option for accurate repeatable rifles with high quality optics that are fit with turret style adjustments.
· Work up a load for your rifle……$ P.O.R.
· *No accuracy guarantee will be offered with the above services, because there are too many variables involved, not to mention I may be a better or worse shot than yourself.

Ed

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts