LOAD DATA

Finris

HI ALL,
I NEED TO KNOW SOME LOAD DATA FOR THE 30-338 LAPUA IMPROVED.I WANT TO KNOW WHAT TYPE OF VELOCETY I WILL GET FROM A 28" TO 30" BARREL SHOOTING 173 GRAIN BULLETS FROM GS CUSTOM BULLETS.THEY SHOW THESE BULLETS OUT OF A 24" BARRELED 30-378 AT 3600. I THOUGHT SINCE THE 30-338 LAPUA IS MORE EFFICANT THAT I COULD DO A LITTLE BETTER. POWDERS SUCH AS VITA VUORI OY OR ANY OF THE OTHERS ANY INFO WOULD BE OPRECIATED THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
FINRIS

Finris frist off let me welcome to our world
tongue.gif

If you do a search for the 30 wolf you'll find alot of great info. And just to help keep you out of trouble they(moderators) prefer that you use upper and lower case when posting.

Hi Texas,
I'm from Oklahoma.You know the Texas state football champs.Hey just kidding.Thanks for the tip.I have done a search on the 30 wolf but most if not all load data is for 210-250 grain bullets.I want to shoot 173 grain GS custom bullets wich they suggest to use 1:9 twist rate due too the legnth of the bullets. Thank You for your suggestion.
Finris

Finris good luck on getting the GS bullets, some have paid for them and haven't received them a year later
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
. If you want something different but still good try NorthFork cusom bullets, they are very reasonable in price and they work too.

The only reason OK became the Texas State Football Champs is because somebody moved the state line sign while we were at the game
grin.gif
wink.gif
. Thats ok now son is now a Baylor Bear and someone told me OK steaks are being served this year
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

[ 07-25-2003: Message edited by: Texas ]

Thank You for the info. I would like to get an idea of fps on the 178 grain bullets.What lenght barrel you have.What type of accuracy your getting at long ranges.Thanks for the load data.
Finris

Finris,

Conditions: 50-60 degrees F, altitude approximately 1000 ft. ASL, 2-3 mph wind from 7:00.

Specs: 32" Lilja 3-groove barrel, 178 AMax with 95.5g RL-25

Velocity averages 3450 fps, the average 5 shot group size was around 1/3 MOA and my best 5 shot group was 1.25" at 600 yards.

BTW, I would be amazed if you find a way to get 3600 fps from a ~170g projectile out of a 24" 30-378.

[ 07-27-2003: Message edited by: STL_Shooter ]

Hey thanks for the info.
The 3600 fps is what they have on their load data page. Please go to GS custom bullets. This is out of a 30-378. I have read their website and it is suppose to have something to do with the barrel bands of the bullets. Please take a look and tell me what you think. I have talked to a couple people that says they do as advertised. I have no persnal experiance with them nor have I seen anyone cornograph any either.

On the Lapua Loading page it has the 30-378 pushing 200 grain bullet at max 3133 fps. the 338 lapua on the other hand 3248 max load their is an 1 inch diferance in the barrels. I think that you should be able to better with a lighter 30 cal round in the Lapua. I don't think that over 3400 fps with a 178 grain bullet is any thing to snezz at.

Finris, I have done a small amount of testing with the 173 hv in my 300 RUM. I have a 29.5", 1-10 twist barrel. The fastest I have gotten without pressure signs is 3550 using reloader 25. I was at 96.5 grains. Keep in mind that you will really need to be touching the lands and grooves to get the accuracy out of these. I have been using the 130 HV in my 7 STW for a couple of years and those work great for me. I haven't gotten the accuracy from the 173's that I was looking for. It was along the lines of 1.5 MOA out of a gun that shoots .3 MOA consistently with the 240 MK.
Vince

the 173 HV is suppose to use 1:9 twist do you think that might have something to do with it?How long are your 240 that you are using?How long is the 173? I think 3500 fps is good.

Finris, the 240 MK also calls for a 1-9 twist. I spoke to Gerard the owner of GS customs a few months ago, him and I both agreed that at those velocities his bullets should be stable out to at least 1300 meters. I have a longish throat in my rifle which makes it difficult to seat the bullets out to touching the lands. I feel that with this design I was getting a sideways jump with the bullet. If you can you may want to try seating them into the lands. I only had one box of the bullets on hand so I just did some limited testing. I shot one 3 shot group out at 706 yards and the same load that produced 1.5 MOA at 100 y, printed .94 MOA at that range. This would possibly indicate that it is taking a while for them to settle down possibly due to lack of twist. With the increased case capacity you will have over my 300 RUM, you may want to try going one step slower with the powder. I use a compressed load in my 7 STW and have no problem getting the 130 HV bullets to shoot in the .2 to .3 range consistently.
Vince

Finris, I was just looking at my notes on the pressure loads that I fired with the 173 HV. They read something like this.

[email protected] grains, 3417 fps (No pressure signs)could try 91 and 92 grains.

[email protected] grains, 3410 fps (ejector marks, MAX LOAD) need to drop 1 grain.

RL22@92 grains, 3541 fps (Max Load, light ejector marks)

RL25@97 grains, 3575 fps (est max working load)drop to 96.5 shoot groups.

Ramshot Big [email protected] grains, 3540 fps (est. max working load)

I was using Federal 215M primers for this test. It was conducted in 55 to 70 degree F temps, at 480 ASL. I shot the load with [email protected] grains using Rem 9.5 primers and velocity dropped to 3480 fps.

THIS SHOULD GIVE YOU A RUFF IDEA OF WHAT TO EXPECT. You should have an extra 5 or 6 grains of case capacity to work with and this may help.
Vince

Hey Vince,
Thank you very much,for all the info.I mean just this basic info saves me alot of time and money.I think I will go with a 30" barrel and an improved 30-338 lapua.You also answered another question of mine that I haden't asked is what other bullets will work well in the 1:9 twist if I don't like the 173.Thank You and everyone who gave information.
Nathaniel

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.