load data for a 22-250

losthelegend

I am starting to reload for a Howa 1500 22-250, 1-14 twist. I am wanting to use Varget powder and am open to any types of bullets. I have CCI primers and winchester brass. Looking for a starting point and I can fine tune from there. I am trying to save a little time. Any suggestions would be helpful and some target pics would be nice! I am hunting coyotes and other varmints and shooting out to approx 650 yrds. Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
I really think 650 yds. is a long reach for a 1/14" twist barrel in 22/250Rem. For that distance you need to shoot heavy for caliber bullets, but unfortunatly your barrel won't stabilize anything heavier than 55 grains. I have always used H4895 in 22/250Rems I have loaded for with excellent results. I would suggest that you start load developement the old fashioned way and look in a good data manual and build it from the ground up. Sorry I can't be more help.

I use the same combination you mentioned in my remington 22-250. Varget powder, Winchester Brass, CCI match primers, Berger 55 gr. varmint bullets.
I don't recall what seating depth their at, but they aren't "jammed" into the rifleing.
I use the max charge that Hogden recommends and get around 3750 fps (26" barrel) Shoots sub 1/2 moa all day long even at 400 yds. (providing good calm conditions, on a benchrest)

This combination has taken many many many coyotes, only out to around 500 yds though. I haven't shot any coyotes beyond 530 yds with that gun. I am not saying it wouldn't do it with good shot placement, but I've just never felt the need to reach out any farther than that with it.

For the record, I didn't just start with the max charge, I worked up to it and even beyond before settling on the most accurate charge that gave nearly 220 Swift velocities.

Thank you guys for the info!!! Im headed out to the garage to build a few! I purchased a lb. of H4895 and going to try a few different loads. Thanks again.

I shoot 55 grain Vmax bullets at 3550 fps using IMR 3031 powder. The shot very well, and have shot groups in the very low two's. That load should do just fine in a 1:14 twist barrel. It will be close, but still should work. If not then use the Sierra #1365 bullets at the same velocity as it's a little shorter, but the same weight
gary

I shoot a 1-14 twist 22-250 26in. varmint barrel and use Varget powder. Mine likes 40grs. and a 40gr V-Max runs about 4200 fps. This load is pretty toasty you might want to back off a couple grains and work up to it. I set mine 10ths.off the lands. Shoots 1/4in. groups all day. 650 yds. will be real ify for a 40gr. pill. Hope this is of some help!

I shoot a 1-14 twist 22-250 26in. varmint barrel and use Varget powder. Mine likes 40grs. and a 40gr V-Max runs about 4200 fps. This load is pretty toasty you might want to back off a couple grains and work up to it. I set mine 10ths.off the lands. Shoots 1/4in. groups all day. 650 yds. will be real ify for a 40gr. pill. Hope this is of some help!

try seating the bullet about .002" off the lands. Seems to make the rifles a little more consistent
gary

I think you'll find your 22-250 pretty easy to load for. I shoot 50-52gr bullets in my 1-14 twist. It likes 36 grains of varget for a 50 grain bt or a 52 grain smk. The varget works pretty well but I prefer H-380. I get slightly better accuracy and because it is a ball powder I can load up a whole bunch of rounds in way less time than the cylinder powders. I shoot a fairly mild load of 38.4 grains of H-380 and either the smk or the bt bullet. This gives me about 3550 out of a 26" tube. I agree with others about seating them long.
I have shot these on paper many times out to 428 yards. 2-2.5 inch groups are the norm at this distance. However these little 22cal bullets move around quite a bit at this range. It will shoot a tight group, but that group will move around on your target on different days. At 650 yards for every 2mph wind difference your bullet will move a foot. In other words shooting on a pretty calm day; say 0-5mph your bullet drift at 650 yards will be from 0 to 30 inches! Minor differences in wind and air density will affect a 40-55 grain bullet in feet not inches at this range. While it may be possible to make shots at this distance, you'll find you won't be able to do it with much consistency.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.