Load Advice

Willys46

OK,
First off Specs:
7 RUM Sendero. All orginal except trigger and muzzel break.
Powder= Retumbo
Bullet= 160 accubonds
Primer=215m
rem=brass

I have been loading for this thing and these are the best loads that I have gotten so far. If I keep load developing for this thing I am going to need a new barrel:D

93 gr has been the most consitant
IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

94 gr getting a little hot with minor stiff bolt
IMG_1730.jpg

94.5 stiff bolt lift and extrator mark
IMG_1731.jpg

It seems to be getting better but still not great. If you were going to pick a load which one would you choose. The one will the smallest extreme spread has alot of vertical. There was a 3-5mph left to right wind. All shooting was at 300 yards.
Velocites are list along with group size.
All loads were under MOA and I am not sure if my brother can shoot that good anyway;)

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
Willis46,

More information needed. Saw no velocities or group sizes.

I'd retest the load with the lowest ES to see if the vertical group spread continues. If it does and the load is not too hot, I'd sneak it up maybe a grain at a time and see if the vertical spread goes away. If the vertical suddenly turns in to horizontal then drop half way back towards the vertical spread load.

That is half way between this "|" and this"-" is this "."

Also was the barrel properly broken in? If not I'd consider starting w/a portion of the Tubbs Final Finish treatment, the shoot and clean, then go for the load.

Just thinking out loud.....

Roy

the velocities are listed in each picture.
First pic
1. 3364
2. 3368
3. 3385

there listed like that on every pic. Also the measurment that is circled it CtoC. Extreme spread is list on the other side of pic.

Pic 1
ES 21 fps
Pic 2
ES 15 fps
Pic 3
28 fps
Pic 4
19 fps

by the way if you did not notice the pics need to be rotated. The writing was written while it was hanging on the target frame. In photbucket they are the right way

Thanks
Willys

Last edited:
I didn't see powder, or bullet information. Hard to advise. As for the groups and ES, they all look pretty spiffy. That one verticle flyer could easily have been you, not the load or gun. That said, it's still well under MOA. Id pick a load that didn't show any pressure signs.

Check out the Dan Newberry Optimal Charge Weight (OCW) page. It will explain a great method of load work-up that usually only takes me about 50 rounds when all is done. Sorry I don't know how to insert a link into the text.

If nothing else it is an interesting read.

EH

Just me personally, I think that the 93.5 or 94 grain load is pretty good. Good velocity, and good accuracy. For me, I'd call that good.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.