Load advice .308 win

earplay

Hi there,

I am looking to start loading for a mid-long range .308 I have set up. It´s a rem 700 sps with 24inch barrel.

I have varget on hand so would like to run with that. My current plan is to use 178gn Amax projectiles and I have some Win brass and Fed 210M primers.

From my research, 43gns seems to be a good place to start. Has anyone got some good accurate loads with this combination?

Also, am I best to run with spec COAL or advance towards the lands a bit?

Cheers,

Matt

EAR - you do nott say what you are shooting at. there is an article on riflemans journal. com on reloading the 308. 6mmbr also. also michael E. ( if he is not a popsicle right now) can give some advice. i would filler up with varget and a 168 balistic tip.

If I remember correctly, I ran 178 A-max with Varget. I think 44.5grn was my max load. Grouped okay though. I am a big fan of AR Comp right now. I use it with 168 NBT's. Very accurate.

Tank

Thanks for the replies... planning to be shooting at deer. I will be doing some load testing tonight all going well so will report back.

Cheers,

Matt

Yes, unfortunately the rain here at the moment isn't helping but I figure I will likely to be hunting in rain so will replicate field conditions ;) Actually I've just been waiting 2 weeks to get some loads down range so unless it´s a hurricane, I will be out there!

I will be using a Lee collet neck die for the first time, so hope the learning curve isn't too steep...

Rain made it pretty hard work tonight but got to fire a few groups. Was running bipod and rear rest. Excuse the very low res phone camera pics...

Range 100 yards, 178gn Amax, 43 - 43.9gn varget (2208)

Velocity of the 43gn load 2474 fps but rain affected any further measurements.

Attachments

• Image0299.jpg
    Image0299.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Image0305.jpg
    Image0305.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 13
  • 43.9 varget.jpg
    43.9 varget.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 27
If you haven't gotten pressure signs yet, go ahead and up the load. You may find another accuracy node. Good shooting. How many shots are in the middle target with one hole?

Tank

Just the one :) I was having a bit trouble at first actually getting on target, then realised in my excitement I had managed to wind the scope up 2 MOA instead of down... hmmmmm.

Yes I was thinking that today, keep pushing the load up. I really need good velocity and was hoping for 2600 min. Maybe start at 44.3 and go up 0.2gns at a time? Max is listed at 45gn and is a compressed load.

Just the one :) I was having a bit trouble at first actually getting on target, then realised in my excitement I had managed to wind the scope up 2 MOA instead of down... hmmmmm.

Yes I was thinking that today, keep pushing the load up. I really need good velocity and was hoping for 2600 min. Maybe start at 44.3 and go up 0.2gns at a time? Max is listed at 45gn and is a compressed load.

I know you want to stick with Varget, but maybe try some RL15. It has a tendency to shoot a little faster than Varget. RL15 burns a bit slower. Also I would start where you left off at 43.8 and continue working up in .2grn increments. I would suggest setting your bullets .010-.015" off the lands.

Tank

I am keen to stick with Varget primarily because I only reload for my 30-30 and now .308, and have a good load for 30-30 set up all ready. If I end up having to sacrifice some velocity then I can live with that.

I didn't post a picture of the other target, but my max load was 44.2gn hence suggesting picking up at 44.3gn. There was quite a marked shift to the right with that final group.

I was shooting factory Win ammo to break in barrel and average group size was 1-2 inches. It blows my mind the difference some reloads make!

Matt

A couple of things to consider.

Down in the Reloading section is a long thread on weight sorting brass, especially Winchester. Do it, as it hurts nothing at all. Win brass has about 1 grain more case capacity than several others so you can get a little more velocity out of it.

Varget is a good powder as is RL17 and 4064.

The Berger 155.5 is a good bullet capable of killing antelope and eastern whitetails but I would not make it the bullet of choice for larger or tougher animals. The Berger 175 OTM is an accurate bullet and works very well on animals. It will allow you to play at longer ranges.

No matter what you do you should play with seating depth here pretty shortly and see if it will tighten up groups. Remember if you jam a bullet it causes pressure to increase so don't jam your bullets without reducing from max and working up. Perhaps a half a grain reduction from max would be enough to compensate.

Ok thanks for the input. I will tweak seating depth once I am happy with the current charge. I am keen to stick with the 178gn Amax now that I have a supply, and they seem to work well.

According to OCW Overview - Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System

45gn seems to be an ideal charge for my setup, but this is a max load. Is it risky having a max load as your standard load?

Is it risky having a max load as your standard load?
Varget will change with temperature and lot #. Loads that are max at 30-40 degrees will be causing sticky bolt in the summer. New lot# may be faster or slower and create issues with group size and pressure. Best advice is when you get a load that is really tight then buy 8#s of that lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts