limbsaver

popwarlick

Has anyone tried the limbsaver barrel deresonator.I saw several hunters on oln using them.I cant see where they would work.What do yall think. Terry

I've never used one, but I too have a hard time beleiving that they can have a positive impact on accuracy. Another gimic.

Gimic or not? Benchrest shooters, starting with the rimfire guys, have been experimenting with "Tuners" for some time. Calfee has written a ton of info on his different designs. A few people showed up with tuners on their Unlimited guns last year and the NBRSA legalised them. The IBS followed suit at this years winter meeting. Can they be of any use on a hunting or plinking rifle? I doubt it but, in the never ending quest for extreme accuracy, the tuner seems to have arrived.

any time anything touches your barrel its going to change the harmonics this can be both bad and good , the idea is tomove the barrel tuner up and down the barrel steadly changing the harmonics each more till you find the "sweet spot" that the barrels harmonics are possitivly affected by it. The BOSS system on Browning and Winchester rifles does the same thing. Like Eddie said rimfire guys have been doing it for years with everything from aluminum sleeves to bunches of rubberbands , this is basicaly tuning the gun to the loads cause your kinda stuck with what you can buy with rimfire , theirs very little tuning one can to to those rounds to make your gun like them

I'm sure that if you played with it long enough with a factory load you could improve your accuracy but if you reload whats the point as your tuning the load to the gun.

I personaly think you would be bteer served either reloading or picking several loads that your intersted in shooting then finding the one that shoots best and sticking with that

Course its no telling what they paid to have them slip one of the limbsavers on their gunbefore they shot. Terry

I have one

I was trying to make my own tuner while I was away at school. Without the proper tools it wasn't going well, a well meaning freind bought me one to save me some trouble. I plunked it on a rifle with a known accuracy with a given load. I did not notice a significant change in accuracy over five extended shooting sessions. Aside from the fact that it goes around the barrel it resembles a tuner verry little.

Tuners work as expained above by changeing the resonance of the barrel to work with the particular load. For rimfire this is great since load control cannot be manually taylored to the barrel. My friend has a hoen and swears buy it. Every new lot of ammo gets "tuned" and it seems to work.

I did not find a tuner use out of the homley little rubber ring, however it does serve a purpose. I slid it out to the end of my 22mag that I carry in the car on a daily basis. It has really protected the crown well, and that poor rifle is ridden hard and put away wet.

Use a doughnut instead and that way you have your lunch
with you. JUST KIDDING But they are ugly little things.

Someone told me that they help when you lean your rifle against
your pickup to keep it from falling down and being ran over. (some
more humor) But they are ugly little things.and there are better
ways to tune a rifle.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.