Limb savers on rifle barrels?

Brian Rybicky

Has anyone here tried putting limb saver products on rifle barrels/actions inorder to reduce vibrations. Is this just a bad idea or will it work?

Brian- Being an archery dealer at one time and into music I can tell you that limb savers work on archery products by way of the different material causing destructive vibration to silence the limbs. I don't know exactly but I would bet that it would make the barrels vibration less predictable and cause more variation that it would cure.
However there are a lot of guys on here that would not mind your input should you try it. I am betting it is like a stock contacting the barrel but could be wrong. If you try it please let us know how it comes out.

Never gave much thought to trying them... ???

The problem with barrel contact if that it must be consistent so things like a barrel channel "rub" are "anti-good" (Dave King term). A limb saver device should be something that can be made consistent but would it help with accuracy by dampening the vibration(s)???? Let's get someone to try it on a few rifles (or dredge up info on previous like usage) of varying barrel length and "whip" characteristics.

Sounds like a quest!!!

IMHO a limb saver on a barrel would do nothing but change the node of the barrel. Meaning the barrel's vibrations transition point. Just as one of the BOSS muzzle tuning devices do.

Dave your right, the limb saver would have to be positioned at the exact same point shot after shot.

You can't escape barrel vibration. The science to the art is to find the perfect bullet/load combination and barrel length that hits the barrels sweet spot everytime, or something like that.

Hope it helps.
wink.gif

I have thought of the same thing before but never tried it. I strayed away from the idea with the same concerns that H-BAR has.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts