Lightweight Sheep/Grizzly Scope Recommendations

Shooter Fred

Hi all,

I am having a custom rifle made for me, 300 wsm, for my trip to Alaska.

I am wondering if anyone has any good scope recommendations for a lightweight scope that is capable of shooting 600 or more more yards if need be. I am not expecting to shoot a sheep or Grizzly at that distance but a wolf is certainly possible. I am concerned a 5-25 may be too high of power on on the low end for Grizzly and maybe sheep.

Can anyone comment on the max low end power I should be looking at and and the optimal high end power for my situation? And also brand and model of scope you recommend.

I am building a low weight rifle and want a relatively lightweight scope to match. I like being able able to have a ballistic turret on elevation but a capped turret on windage for hunting situations.

I should also add that I would love to stay with $1,000 or so but for for the absolute right scope, I would consider 1.5k on the high end.

I will take any and all suggestions and advice.

Thanks for your help.

-Fred

Lots of opinions and preferences. 1) VX 3 Leupold 2.5-8x36 it's 11.4 ounces, and has worked well for me in a variety of situations. 2) Leupold Mark 4 2.5-8x36 it's 16 ounces, has turrets is a 30mm tube. My favorite medium range scope at this time, a variety of reticles, and will bump the upper limit of your budget. 3) Leupold V6 2-12x42, 16.8 ounces I don't have one, but have seen others use them in the field, and at the range. Upper end of your stated budget.

The Nightforce compact 2.5-10x worth a look, but I have no experience with this scope, so perhaps some one else will comment.

Last edited:
Lots of opinions and preferences. 1) VX 3 Leupold 2.5-8x36 it's 11.4 ounces, and have worked well for me in a variety of situations. 2) Leupold Mark 4 2.5-8x36 it's 16 ounces, has turrets is a 30mm tube. My favorite medium range scope at this time, a variety of reticles, and will bump the upper limit of your budget. 3) Leupold V6 2-12x42, 16.8 ounces I don't have one, but have seen others use them in the field, and at the range. Upper end of your stated budget.

The Nightforce compact 2.5-10x worth a look, but I have no experience with this scope, so perhaps some one else will comment.

Thanks for the thought you put into these... I appreciate the help!

So you are definitely thinking 5x is too high for the low end of my hunting rig in this case? And on others other side, a 12x is plenty of power?

Thanks again!

I agree on the nxs compact.. 2.5-10x42 would be my choice in m.o.a.r retical. If that is out of price range I have a vx -II 4-12 x 40 variable so. on my light weight rifle it is 14 oz. Not a bad cheaper option. Some day I'll upgrade mine!

Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44

I was doing some reading on this scope and my biggest concern with with the Ballistic turret is it only has one revolution in travel... Apparently... But it does fit my lightweight need and magnification needs... Just worry the lack of moa elevation adjustment will be a problem (probably only 0.5% of of time, but I'd hate for it to be a problem).

Any thoughts on this?

I am very pleased with my Z5. Good glass, super light weight and good tracking. Only drawback is the available elevation. It has about 13 minutes of adjustment with the ballistic turret from the zero stop. The scope has been on a 7 stw which was zeroed at 250 yards. 13 minutes from that is a pretty respectable range with a 180 vld but it all depends on your needs.

Vortex 4-16 x50 xlr ffp would be my pick
Zero stop capped windage and awesome reticle at under a grand

I really like Vortex products...My gun was dropped in Africa from a safari vehicle and broke the stock along with the scope. No questions asked, Vortex sent me a brand new scope... Quick.

My only hesitation is its about a third pound heavier than the Swarovski... I have never been on a sheep hunt before but I hear ounces feel like pounds quickly.

I am so torn... If I had it my way I would take the better elevation turret and capped windage turret of of the vortex and pair it with the weight and magnification range of the Swarovski

Magnification varies a bit from what's marketed at times. The 2.5-8s I mentioned the Mark 3 is 2.6-7.8 in their spec sheet the Mark 4 is 3-8.7. That 1x does seem to help my old eyes on targets. The 2-12x is a true 2-12x.

A bigger deal to me is some of 5-25x I've looked through don't deliver the field of view indicated on the spec sheets.

It's tough to look through enough scopes, in enough situations to truly compare how well they balance all the compromises we ask. In your scenario of grizzly/sheep, in the morning you could be traveling a 3' wide "trail in 10' tall willows, and in the afternoon be trying to get on the ram of a lifetime leaving the basin you found him in.

Nightforce is heavier than Leupold. They're probably a bit more rugged. When trying to shave pounds off your pack it's done in ounces. What do you trade for what.

I have an ATACR that I haven't got behind yet, but I can't imagine going sheep or goat hunting with it. Others might find it ideal. When I finally shot my goat it was 25 yards, certainly not what I expected.

Magnification varies a bit from what's marketed at times. The 2.5-8s I mentioned the Mark 3 is 2.6-7.8 in their spec sheet the Mark 4 is 3-8.7. That 1x does seem to help my old eyes on targets. The 2-12x is a true 2-12x.

A bigger deal to me is some of 5-25x I've looked through don't deliver the field of view indicated on the spec sheets.

It's tough to look through enough scopes, in enough situations to truly compare how well they balance all the compromises we ask. In your scenario of grizzly/sheep, in the morning you could be traveling a 3' wide "trail in 10' tall willows, and in the afternoon be trying to get on the ram of a lifetime leaving the basin you found him in.

Nightforce is heavier than Leupold. They're probably a bit more rugged. When trying to shave pounds off your pack it's done in ounces. What do you trade for what.

I have an ATACR that I haven't got behind yet, but I can't imagine going sheep or goat hunting with it. Others might find it ideal. When I finally shot my goat it was 25 yards, certainly not what I expected.

This is great advice... Definitely want to stay on the low end for for the low power settings... I would say 4x max on the low end

Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.