Lightweight scope?

Magnum72576

I'm anxiously awaiting my 6.5 pound lightweight 300 win mag that is being built. I need help deciding on a scope. I have been looking at the swarovski HD5 5-25 at 26.6 ounces, the HD5 3-15 at 18.4 ounces and the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 at 15.9 ounces, or Z5 5-25 at 17.5 ounces. I haven't ruled out other scopes. I currently have a var x3 leupold 4.5-14 which I'm not crazy about. My absolute maximum range would be 1000yds for deer sized game. I know a lot of you might say 15 power is enough, but I would prefer a little more. 15 power in my minimum top end. I looked at Sightron III 6-24 with a weight of 24 ounces. I'm not very familiar with that brand, be see that you guys like them.
Thanks Tony

Based on my evaluation at the SHOT Show, I would say that the Z5 scopes are a cut above the HD5 scopes in terms of resolution and contrast. The Z5 optics are essentially the same as the Z6 optics, but in a 1" tube, so the zoom ratio is a bit lower (less erector tube travel). That's not to say the HD5 scopes are bad. They are typical of Conquest optics, which are good and set the standard for $500-1,000 scopes.

HighPowerOptics is an authorized dealer for both Zeiss and Swarovski, and has both HD5 and Z5 scopes in stock. I will be doing a side-by-side evaluation over the next two weeks. If you can afford to wait, I can give you a detailed comparison. The evaluation samples will then go on the website at a reduced price, so there will be a good opportunity to save $100 or so if you like the reticle.

I wouldn't use either, and none of the scopes you mention are light weights.
I use a 2.5-10 NF on a .270 WSM. No problem with this scope on marmots out to 600 yards. Weight 19oz.
The other I would use is a S&B Klassic by Hollands. They have Hollands great ART reticle and .25 MOA turrets. Just add another grand to the NF.
These scopes have a better reputation for accurate and repeatable turrets and bomb-proof construction than the Swaro's, and the S&B will have as good or better glass,
Still at 19 oz.
They will hold up to the considerable recoil your little .300 is going to generate.

FWIW, I use a S&B 4-16 PMII with Hollands ART reticle on a long range varmint rifle. On 16 power I have sufficient magnification to shoot marmots out to 1400 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts