Lightweight rear bag ideas ...

Yes i have been given good advice by several people here and no i don't think anybody is stupid here .

I know all about poly-beads -i know all about air-soft beads -i know all about triad bags that probably have poly-beads in them -i know all about bean bag filler.And i appreciate each and every person who took the time to try and help me.
As i said i need a a bag that has multiple uses and is super light -so light you won't even know it's there when you're looking up at a 9,000' climb over a mountain pass.

I just thought someone on here might have an inside line to some small carbon-fiber 1/4" diameter -thin wall hollow beads =just like poly-beads but 1/20th the weight -lol.............hell maybe i'll just man up and fill a feed sack w/#12 heavy shot.ME

Mike

Try a standard sand bag filled with tumbler media with out the abravsive.

Like the Lyman green. it is light weight and shapes well and holds its shape
like sand.

I doin't know about sleeping on it , But it would be softer than a rock.

Just another idea .

And Maybe just maybe BB wont call me a road kill possum for mentioning
this . (Just kidding BOB)

J E CUSTOM

The closed cell foam I described in a previous post would work well as a pillow, just make 2 of them 6"x12" and put them in a snug fitting case, carry one in the field for a rear bag. adjust the pod close then slide the wedge to fine tune verticle hold as good a setup as I ever used. each 6x12 wedge weighs approx 4 oz.
RR

I use a piece of closed cell foam 6x12" and cut in the shape of a wedge of cheese,about 4 1/2" thick to 1" on the other end. covered with a piece of filter material, a nylon loop sewed in for a carabiner, weighs only a few oz, yet is really solid for shooting, a pic
100_0279.jpg

RR
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ridgerunner ,

Your bag/pillow "looks" like a rectangle shape ?
You're saying that it's 4" thick and tapers down to 1" thick on the flat part ?

Where did you find 4" thick closed cell foam ?
I see the thick closed cell foam at walmart that you use as a matress cover -real expensive stuff.

I got it where I used to work, it was used for packing material for printing blankets, I would take 4 circular pieces 1" thick, glue them all togather till I had a 16" circle 4" thick and then cut them on a saw 6x12, then taper it 4" to 1". Its the same stuff used by berger bullets in they're bullet boxes only much thicker.
RR

Flip Rest

This is what i use.You can use what ever filler you like i have used a plastic balls of 3mm/1/8th diameter.

But i would love to try a Triad rear back.I could be a Aussie distributor. :D

i use some micro poly bead filling. It's like the bean bag chair filling but much smaller beads. Don't let them get loose on you, they are tough to get rounded back up. I found them while wandering around the sewing/quilting store waiting for my wife.

a real man doesn't wait for his wife!

just kidding!

ol mike,

I use something that I'm packing already so essentially I don't add any more weight or volume to my pack at all. My goretex bivvy sac/bag, when folded in thirds lengthwise (find whatever works for you), and tightly rolled from one end to the other, held with a couple of stout rubber bands (like come on bunches of broccoli in the stores) has the perfect about of firmness/height for me. I shoot better groups off the bench (which I try to do as little as possible) with it and a bipod than I do with sandbags front and rear. Hope this helps. No extra weight...no extra bulk.

243rm,
I have actually tried with a dealer in Australia.

Problems:
shipping was about $150.00 for 20 bean bags
once received inspections quarantined it till I sent them info on what the internal contents are/were (poly pellets)

I have not heard back from said individual since the incident and it probably wasn't worth the headache and I can't say I blame him.

Stu

I usually use a coat/ vest/ shirt whatever I have handy. No extra gear required as I will probably always have one or the other available. I have been shooting more and more using my pack as front rest, and coat as a rear rest and getting good results.

I now use a sock full of rice, it's pretty light... not as solid as I would like though.

I usually use a coat/ vest/ shirt whatever I have handy. No extra gear required as I will probably always have one or the other available. I have been shooting more and more using my pack as front rest, and coat as a rear rest and getting good results.

+1
If I'm packing on a sheep hunt, I don't carry anything extra. I have enough stuff available using the pack, or what's in it, and I use what's available. If I'm not walking very far, then I'll consider some additional items to improve my set-ups and steadyness.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.