Lightweight Longrange Gun??

Your not allowed to shoot that far at that big of an animal w/o the caliber being anything less than a .338 BFG caliber! :DJust kidding!:cool: I like seeing the "LITTLE" calibers getting the job done. Good Shooting!

Tank

antelope2010004.jpg

alandpat007.jpg

Before and after pics of a nice mule deer buck I shot with the same .308 last fall....320 meters.

I've got some big rifles too.....grin!

Pretty generic but has proven to be very effective:

155gr Lapua Scenar
45.5grs Hodgdon's Varget
Lapua brass
Wolf(russian) large rifle magnum primer
2.810" coal, 5 thou. jump.
MV is 2950fps.

With that barrel I could easily get 3000fps. 1-11" Rock 5R@24". 2950fps seems to be the "node" for that bullet in my other two .308's as well.

alandpat067.jpg

6X6 bull taken with same rifle and load last fall....

I've been using the 155's for the past 4 or 5 years and have had very good luck with them. Elk, deer, antelope and black bears have been taken out to 600 or so meters without any problems. They open up well and penetrate.

lasthunt002.jpg

Same rifle and load took this nice buck last fall....

Do you find the Scenar to have a true BC as to what is stated, or is it less? Can you set up your drop charts to the listed BC and your velocity or do you have to tweek it to make it work?

Tank

Lapua claims its .508....I came up with .495 at my elevation, spin rate and velocity.

Cool... thanks for all the info. I just looked today on their website to see what they had listed. I remember seeing it listed as .508, but they list now at .460. So I would say it would depend on where your at when your shooting them. Thanks for the help.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts