Lightweight 338 Lapua

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by FLhunter620, Aug 27, 2012.

1. FLhunter620

FLhunter620 Member

Do any of you guys have a 338 lapua that weighs somewhere in the 8-10 lbs range?? I am thinking of having one built and was wondering how bad the recoil is when the rifle is that light. Thank you for any advice you may have.

2. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

I have two 338 Lapuas in the 8 pound range. With a good muzzle brake recoil is not a problem. Lighter high BC bullets like the 225 grain .64 bc Cutting Edge also help tremendously.

3. FLhunter620

FLhunter620 Member

Can you give me some details on you setups?

4. Capt Academy

Capt Academy Well-Known Member

I had one built by Kirby that comes in at about 10 1/4 lbs with out the scope. The rifles has a # 5 Stalker barrel fluted with one of his muzzle breaks. The recoil is a bit with 300 grain bullets and I am not recoil shy, as I shoot a 416 Rem mag in Africa with out a break. If I had to do it all over, I would at the very least go with a #6 barrel fluted if weight is a concern. However, my next barrel will be a #7 fluted. The problem I have is after my shot, I lose the target or animal in my scope because of the recoil, so if you want to see the animal hit or fire a 2nd shot, it takes a few to get back on target. The rifle is not so bad with 225 bullets.

Having said that, I have made a 700 yard plus shot and took an oryx with this rifle. The rifle is very accurate.

Attached Files: