Lightning strikes!

Discussion in 'Nature Photography' started by *Prairie Princess*, Jul 21, 2009.

1. *Prairie Princess*

*Prairie Princess* Well-Known Member

I have never tried to capture lighting on "film", but Sun night produced a magnificent storm just as the sun was going down. It was so breathtakingly beautiful I had to try to capture a Little of it. Nate and I Had a blast seeing who had the fastest "trigger" finger:D I will definitely be doing more lightning photography in the future! what a fun and exciting challenge!

Thes is the first one I captured. It truly was a breathtaking sunset!
    [​IMG]

Nate "caught" this one just as it started to sprinkle (spots on the lens)
    [​IMG]

This was the last one I shot before it was time to head in...
    [​IMG]

If any of you out there have captured lightning on camera I would love to see it. I have seen some shots by professional photographers and after trying it myself I have an even deeper appreciation for their skill.

2. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Very cool!

I am told Arizona has spectacular lightning storms in late summer. One of my personal "1,000 Things To Do Before I Die" is to go there one August day and photograph the lightning.

3. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

Great shots!
    Thanks for posting

4. *Prairie Princess*

That sounds completely exciting! We don't have a terrible lot of lightning here, but this was a spectacular show!

*Prairie Princess*

5. WildcatB

WildcatB Well-Known Member

The two easiest ways of taking pictures of lightning are:

1. Use very slow shutter speeds in the range of minutes 1-10+ with your camera on a tripod. This works best when it's night. Can be done in the daytime by stacking neutral density filters if necessary.

2. Use a lightning activated camera shutter trigger. Here's a link to one: Capture the Lightning Landscape with the Lightning Trigger! These work well day or night.

Paul

6. *Prairie Princess*

Hey, thanks for the great advise. I never heard of a lightning activated trigger. Seems like you would have a greater success rate.....I think I got a bout 10-15
    missed shots.:D

I was away from home and didn't have my equipment with so this was off hand shooting.

*Prairie Princess*

7. yotefever

yotefever Well-Known Member

Back in the early 70's when I got my first 35mm camera, SRT 101, getting lightning strikes was one of my priorities. Didn't get many, even holding open the shutter- they always waited until I gave up and closed the lens.
    On our first trip out West while in the Badlands we had a storm with lots of lightning and no rain and I finally got some pics,just before our camper was damaged.
    The apartment building where I met my wife, 28 years ago, there was another amateur photographer that went through the ceiling of an apartment after trying to get to the roof to get a pic of lightning, so be careful out there. ;-)) and it wasn't me.

8. *Prairie Princess*

Wow, that's funny. I will be careful where I stand. I was on solid ground when I took these. Here in ND there are a lot of wide open spaces so you don't usually have to get above the buildings:)

9. justgoto

justgoto Well-Known Member

Love the last one!

10. BigDaddy0381

BigDaddy0381 Well-Known Member

Very nice!!!

I see a new site coming LRLH "Long Range Lightning hunting".

Thanks for sharing.