Lightest Kicking 30

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by longrange7, Apr 22, 2008.

1. longrange7

longrange7 Member

What is the lightest kicking 30 caliber rifle for long range shooting?

2. Blacktail2

Blacktail2 Well-Known Member

300 WSM is the first one to come mind with out knowing what the intended uses are.Elk at 1000,targets at 1000,Deer.You need to be a little more specific.

3. Cheyenne19

Cheyenne19 Well-Known Member

Yes, more info is needed. You could say 30BR, but it's not very long in the long range department.

4. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

"...lightest kicking 30 caliber rifle for long range shooting?"

Your requirements are in conflict. And what do you consider "long range"?

5. longrange7

longrange7 Member

500 to 800 yards

6. WildcatB

WildcatB Well-Known Member

.308's don't kick that much.

To me a .308 recoil feels about the same as a 270 wsm though. With the right bullet, the 270 wsm has a lot more energy down range.

chuckhawks.com has a good list or caliber's and recoil data. Here's the link:
    Rifle Recoil Table

7. boomtube

For target work, the .308. It's not enough for game at that distance tho.

8. WildcatB

With a .308 using a 168 grain berger vld bullet, with a BC of .512, 2700 ft/sec muzzle velocity, at 5000ft elevation, has 1000lbs of energy left at 800 yards. That would defiantly do in a deer with a lung shot. At sea level it has 800ft/lbs at 800 yards.

9. boomtube

The issue isn't sufficent mathmatical power, per se. It's a combination of lack of normal expansion at those ranges AND the ability to hit. A Berger VLD really isn't a choice hunting bullet for low velocities and there is a lot of room for unknown winds at 800 yards. Go back to your tables and see what a mild 10 mph cross wind would do to the deflection. A clean miss is likely but so is a face or gut shot possible. There is more to (ethical) hunting than simple, wind free ballistics tables might lead someone to believe.

10. Tyler Kemp

Tyler Kemp SPONSOR

Wind is going to blow any bullet, just with the 308 slightly more. What about a 300 WSM with a brake?

11. Cheyenne19

Cheyenne19 Well-Known Member

What would you suggest for a 'low' velocity hunting bullet?

12. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

A Berger VLD really isn't a choice hunting bullet for low velocities

actually, Bergers are one of the best. it's one of the reasons why quite a few use them for long range hunting.

13. Franklin

Franklin Well-Known Member

Agreed! I'd be more worried at high velocity. That being said, I don't think I'd worry about the vld on deer sized game at any velocity.

14. WildcatB

The ballistic's calculator I used is not wind free. That isn't what was asked. I left that data out. Like Tyler Kemp said... the wind will blow any bullet.

It's a given that certain OTHER conditions must be met before a shot is taken. I see nothing wrong with shooting at a deer with a .308 to 800 yards with a 5-10mph consistant wind as long as the shooter has practiced enough to be confident of hitting his target, in those wind conditions, at those distances, in the field. That' really the name of this "long range shooting" game - isn't it?

Look at this link...http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f36/quantico-f-class-3rd-match-results-29482/
    It looks like .308's can do pretty well in a wind to me.
    gun)