Light Mountain Rifle Caliber

liltank

Just want to get you seasoned hunters opinions. General usage would be a walk around rifle in PA woods. .308 isn't an option because I own one, just looking for something different and a good deer slayer. Want to stick with short action.

223 Rem.
243 Win.
257 Roberts
6.5 X 47 Lapua
6.5 X 55 Sweed
260 Rem.
7mm-08 Rem.

Thanks in advance,
Tank

I've done most of my hunting in PA, MD, and VA under the conditions you will be hunting. Other than the .223, I don't think there would be a noticeable difference to you or the deer between your choices. I've shot a few deer with my.223 and don't recomend it, especially for a walking rifle. It will kill deer and has for me but my PA deer come to far and few between to pass up shots because of super critical shot placement.

I have a 243 and 7mm-08 and both have there good points. Since you have a .308, maybe a 6mm for lighter bullets for predator/groundhog hunting also?

Have fun choosing! You have some nice shops in your area to check out different guns.

Gene

Just want to get you seasoned hunters opinions. General usage would be a walk around rifle in PA woods. .308 isn't an option because I own one, just looking for something different and a good deer slayer. Want to stick with short action.

223 Rem.
243 Win.
257 Roberts
6.5 X 47 Lapua
6.5 X 55 Sweed
260 Rem.
7mm-08 Rem.

Thanks in advance,
Tank

Tank .

It sounds like you need a 7-08 Rem or a 260 Rem.

I use the 7-08 Rem for everything smaller than Elk ( not that it would'nt kill Elk )

The best all round load I have found for deer is 49.5 grs of H414 behind a 120gr
Ballistic Tip @ 3050 ft/sec.

It is so accurate I use it to head shoot those turkeys that wont come to the call
or hang up at 200 plus yards.

Sierra makes a 100gr Varminter bullet that smokes varmints.

J E CUSTOM

I killed my nicest buck this year with my 223 50 gr. hornady sp. I hunt Md. and Pa. also, and the last few years my model 7 260 just flattens them. I use the 100 gr. nosler bt. For fields if need be i have 2- 257 whbys used to use it in the woods but dont need it there. Also 250 savage ai 87 gr. hornady. All these guns i have killed deer in the woods you are talking about and are 1 shot kills. I never had a 243 but a lot of guys around here swear by them also. I had 30 calibers when i was young and dont even care for them now. I have a 18" Hart barrel chambered for 284 that shot well that will thread on a rem. action if your interested. I could get over 3000 fps with the sierra 120 and speer 115. Both bullets was excellant on deer. If you have a rem action this would be a inexpensive custom and very nice to carry around in woods.
Mike

I've hunted PA all my life and grew up on a Model 7 in 7mm-08. To me this has been a great all around cartridge. I've killed deer, turkey and woodchucks with it. Light weight for walking and a small go to gun for "road trips" on bad weather days. All the other cartridges you mentioned will work fine. PA is unique in that you can have an opportunity at a deer at almost any range if you so choose. The 7mm-08 with 120 grain Nosler BT running 48 grains of Varget and a Federal 210 primer got me just under 3200 fps in a 20" barrel. This bullet will carry almost 1500 ft/lbs of energy at 400 yards.

Last edited:
I really like the Kimber Montana in 260 Remington. It is 5.2 LBS and still under 6 lbs scoped with the right scope. It also has a 22" barrel unlike many other mountian rifles that have 20" barrels. The 264 caliber bullets are great for deer.

Thanks for the imput guys, keep it coming. I'm leaning toward the 7mm-08 and the 260. I really didn't think about the .284win, but that is definatley a viable option.

Thanks guys,
Tank

Of the choices, I would say 7-08 in the heaviest bullet your gun will accurrately shoot. The choice for me was a Christensen Arms 300 WSM. It is a little expensive, but well worth the money. Plenty of rifles and light to boot. Plenty accurate. Good luck with what ever you choose!

For sheer weight reduct I would go with the 260 and 7mm-08, both have great ballistics if you study up on them, and will work for deer elk moose sheep at <500yrds. For myself I just bought a LH Sav 111 blk in 270, rifle weighs 6.5# bare. I'm going to go with a Burris or Pentax 2-7x32 which will add 13oz. With a few oz for the nylon sling I'll add I should come in under 8# and under $500. I took the time to weigh our rifles today and heres what I found:

wifes mod 700ADL wood 243 with 3-9x....... 8#
wifes mod 111 Sav wood 30-06 and 3-9x.... 8.3#
my mod 111 LH Sav blk .223 with 4-12x 40 8.6#
my mod 70 26" blk 7mm Rem Mag w/ 4-16x44 & bipod 11.5#

All were weighed with slings on to get a good total for my aching back.

I have a lot of hope for my 270 being an accurate all day carry rifle.

Good luck with your choice.

I was think about going to a long action, but wanted to stick with a short. I was kind of considering the 25-06 and the 270. I don't know, maybe I will resort to the old standby 270. I still like the 7-08. :rolleyes: Decisions... Decisions!

Liltank since you aready have a 308 I would pass on the 7mm 08 and go to the 260 or even 243 to get some separation from your 308. When you look at the 308 vs the 7mm-08 you are splitting hairs to show any separation in trajectory, wind drift ect. The 264 and 243 caliber bullets offer velocities that give a little flatter trajectories along with minimal wind drift due to the high BC bullets available. Not say anything is wrong with the 7mm-08, if I were picking just one all purpose short action rifle it would be a 7mm-08. The down side to the 260 is limited selection of factory ammo.

I have been so impressed with my 260 rem. model 7. It was a little tempermental getting to shoot but i brought it to life. I am getting over 3000 fps with the 100 gr. bt and all the deer i killed with it does not move from there tracks and no recoil. I might get some flack here but the 7-08 i feel was a sled. Thats why i had that hart barrel opened to a 284 and then came to life.
Mike

Liltank since you aready have a 308 I would pass on the 7mm 08 and go to the 260 or even 243 to get some separation from your 308. When you look at the 308 vs the 7mm-08 you are splitting hairs to show any separation in trajectory, wind drift ect. The 264 and 243 caliber bullets offer velocities that give a little flatter trajectories along with minimal wind drift due to the high BC bullets available. Not say anything is wrong with the 7mm-08, if I were picking just one all purpose short action rifle it would be a 7mm-08. The down side to the 260 is limited selection of factory ammo.

I'm one of those guys who thinks things to death. It took me about a year to decide on the .308. I know I made a good choice in that caliber. I have been doing a lot of reading on the 6.5. I like the barrel life compared to the .243 and the higher BC's. I have even considered going AI on the 260 to push it a little harder. Not sure what powder to run or bullet. I guess the 142's are the cats meow for trajectory, but I'm thinking brush and short shots where I hunt. Hmmmmmmm!lightbulb

My 260 would not shoot factory ammo, i think thats why is was on the used rack where i bought it. Im talking close 3" groups at 100 yards. I only bedded and adjusted trigger. Like i said 100 gr. nos. bt in Md. and Pa. woods 50-100 yards very deadly. I did get it down to 3/4" groups not bad for factory rifle. I dont care to mess with imp. any more fire forming brass, not my cup of tea these days.
mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.