Life looks to be good with 6.5X47 Lap Imp

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
After getting through fire forming and barrel break in (which consisted of half a dozen different loads, all shots inside an inch and a half @ 100) had the 1st range session for velocity with 130g Scirroccos.

Rifle is a 22.5" barrel, the one we got for free a year or so ago. It was supposed to have flaws but we could not find any with a scope. It was the easiest break in ever. Zero copper foul from the start. One patch.

Started with 38g RL-15 @ 2950fps and went up in .5g increments to 40.5 @ 3080fps. The last load had a slight bolt lift. So achieving the 3000fps goal out of the little case and short barrel is very easily do-able with the 130g pills. Biggest little cartridge I have ever seen. This cartridge flat out does all of them when you consider the powder burnt to get the performance. This little guy runs even with my 6.5-06 with 15 grains less powder and an inch and a half less barrel.

Steve

Glad to hear of your results, but why improve the case on a 6.5-47 Lapua. It will already do 3000fps with 130gr Berger's.
What is gained by the AI ?

Sounds like your pretty happy with the results. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Did the improved to cause extra work.:D Actually we were copying the 6 dasher in the 6.5. It is not a lot of improvement, not sure if it was worth it, but it is done and shoots well.

Steve

I forgot to mention that we have taken the 140g Berger to the edge of 3000fps. I believe that that is also do-able. The 130's should run over 3000fps. So I think that we did pick up a little out of the Ackley. Also the sharper shoulder can't hurt in the accuracy dept.

I am still amazed at the performance of the tiny little cartridge.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.