Life looks to be good with 6.5X47 Lap Imp

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by RockyMtnMT, Jun 14, 2010.

1. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

After getting through fire forming and barrel break in (which consisted of half a dozen different loads, all shots inside an inch and a half @ 100) had the 1st range session for velocity with 130g Scirroccos.

Rifle is a 22.5" barrel, the one we got for free a year or so ago. It was supposed to have flaws but we could not find any with a scope. It was the easiest break in ever. Zero copper foul from the start. One patch.

Started with 38g RL-15 @ 2950fps and went up in .5g increments to 40.5 @ 3080fps. The last load had a slight bolt lift. So achieving the 3000fps goal out of the little case and short barrel is very easily do-able with the 130g pills. Biggest little cartridge I have ever seen. This cartridge flat out does all of them when you consider the powder burnt to get the performance. This little guy runs even with my 6.5-06 with 15 grains less powder and an inch and a half less barrel.

Steve

2. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

Glad to hear of your results, but why improve the case on a 6.5-47 Lapua. It will already do 3000fps with 130gr Berger's.
    What is gained by the AI ?

3. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like your pretty happy with the results. Enjoy.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  4. RockyMtnMT

Did the improved to cause extra work.:D Actually we were copying the 6 dasher in the 6.5. It is not a lot of improvement, not sure if it was worth it, but it is done and shoots well.

Steve

5. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback, Steve.

6. RockyMtnMT

I forgot to mention that we have taken the 140g Berger to the edge of 3000fps. I believe that that is also do-able. The 130's should run over 3000fps. So I think that we did pick up a little out of the Ackley. Also the sharper shoulder can't hurt in the accuracy dept.

I am still amazed at the performance of the tiny little cartridge.

Steve