Lever Actions.

DocUSMCRetired

How would you guys feel about some ideas here.

Lever Action 260 or 6.5 Grendel. These are some great calibers offering great performance. This would also be a great weapon for youth shooters. Great teaching tool, and not as abusive on an 8 year old as a 30-30.

Lever Action 338MX. This could be a real beast, improving upon the Ballistics of a 30-30 for a bit more reach out to range.

Just wanting to see how you guys feel about having these options.

I love my Lever action 30-30, it is light handling, precise and beautiful! But I have never shot a 260 or Grendel so I really have no opinion on them.

Too many people on this site frown upon lever actions. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to see more lever action love as well. I know they sometimes get ignored, but they have a great place!

Admittedly not a big fan of lever guns, but caliber wise I think you're on the right track Doc. I got it too late for the season but I bought a Ruger 77 Compact in 7.62X39, and the 9 y/o using it's loving it.

I half hope it sucks enough to put a 6.5 Grendel barrel on, and add an MPI micro light stock.

If I had to have a lever I'd find a Winchester 88 donor, rebarrel to .260, and again MPI has a synthetic stock to drop some weight with.

I would like to see more lever action love as well. I know they sometimes get ignored, but they have a great place!

Well here is my lever action for you Doc. Winchester XTR in .307 caliber.

A 260 or 6.5 I have no opinion as I have not shot either as well

Attachments

• Winchester .307.jpg
    Winchester .307.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 16
338 Marlin Express is outstanding. It has ballistics of a 30-06 out to 400 and can be quite accurate. They handle and carry great in the field. The only real problem with the Marlin Express is Marlin. The Marlin company (Remington) has some real problems and they don't mind passing them onto their customers. Hopefully another reputable company will pick up the 338 Marlin Express in lever action. I'd hate to see such a great cartridge and rifle fade to black.

I really like lever guns, I've been thinking about trying to do something with a Browning BLR, I think it would be the ideal candidate with the magazine set up and running some VLD's gun)

I don't shoot levers much but I but I sure can't keep from fondling every one I see.
This 1894 was manufactured in 1898 and was purchased new by my great grandfather. Chambered in 30 WCF.
I shoot it occasionally and kill a deer every 5-10 years for nostalgia.
My new son (I recently adopted my Wife's 2 kids) shot it for the first time at Thanksgiving.
He's 13, hooked on shooting/ hunting with Dad, and I now have a namesake to pass this treasure on to. Who would of thought that I would become a Dad at 50?
IMG_0546.jpg
I have a 444 Marlin that I put together to chase elk out of their beds with in the black timber midday with but so far it's drawn no elk blood. It seems that I never want to hike back to camp to switch guns after the morning hunt. Maybe I just needed an excuse for a large bore lever.
It was hell on a raccoon though.

Let me tell you boys about my saddle gun,it easily has taken elk and moose with one shot,it takes out milk jugs also easy ,out to 600 yards,it is topped with a Zeiss,with the 600 yard reticle, at 9000 feet elevation the cross hairs are with in 9 yards of being dread on according to the Zeiss rep.My little saddle gun is a Browning, in 300wsm. shooting 168gr. Barnes .And I love it.

I am glad to see all the positive responses and ideas. I think the lever action rifles have been a little bit forgotten lately, and still have a firm place in the shooting/hunting community.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.