Leveling the scope

Swift One

How are you guys correctly leveling your scopes on your rifles? Are you just eyeing the scope turrets in relation to the scope base or are you guys using some sort of scope leveling device?

I know that at extreme long ranges an un-level scope can be bad news for proper tracking but what about ranges of 500yds and under???

I level the rifle on both axis and then I level the scope to the Rifel on one axis using a simple shop level. I have heard some people using lazer levelers to aid this.

There are several threads on this site concerning leveling the scope. I'll quickly cover the basics as I understand them.

I level the rifle (as Britz mentions).

I use a plumb line to then align the reticle to "level".

I then check the scope level with the rifle, I generally do this by placing a level on the turret.

By checking the reticle plumb and checking the scope turret level I can get an idea if and how much cant is in the reticle as its installed.

IF there is a significant difference between plumb and level (canted reticle):

If the rifle is just a close-in hunter I usually leave the reticle plumb as I don't often adjust these for trajectory using the elevation adjustment.

If the rifle is a long range type I set the scope level and allow the reticle to cant. On these rifles I adjust the elevation and windage and I want that adjustment to be level/plumb so I don't crank on windage with my elevation or elevation with my windage.

Does ths help at all??

As a bonus...

When installing a bubble level (anti-cant device) I level the rifle in two planes and install the device level AND square to the bore centerline. I then check the anti-cant device square by elevating the butt of the rifle (off level in one plane) checking to ensure the device indicates level to the horizon when the rifle in inclined. If the device is not mounted level and square the shooter will induce cant in an inclined fire situation.

Triggernosis

Using a device that matches the reticle "level" to the rifle scope base is fine so long as the rifle scope mounting base is leveled to the earth. If one is seeking cosmetic purposes only this basic type system is great but it does not compeletely encompass the entire scope mounting process as required/desired for precision long range shooting as I see it.

Oh, so y'all mean leveling the scope AFTER you've already got it on the rifle? (i.e. when you're getting ready to pull the trigger).

Thanks Dave. I tried the plumb deal with the level and just could not get it to work right. I did however just tried putting a level on a flat surface on top of the rifle and another level on top of the elevation turret of the scope. After making sure the level on the rifle was level, Iadjusted the scope until that level was level. I was surprised at how easy this was. I took your advice and searched some of the threads and found this method.

Triggernosis

This particular discussion to this point as I understand it is only about placing the scope on the rifle.

Canting the rifle during fire and inclined fire are two new and different topics.

Unless of course you're pulling my leg and knew that!!

Swift One

Isn't it a little amazing that the seemingly mundane things we've done in the past can sudden like become new and somewhat complicated in this long range shooting environment??? Who da thunk mounting a scope could be so much trouble??

Dave,

I agree completely. I find myself paying even closer attention to my reloading, I find myself trying to guess the wind all the time when just walking around doing everyday things, and reading everything I can get my eyes on about this discipline. This site has helped me tremendously.

I like the Level-Level-Level by Wheeler. One level mounts on the action rails and one on the scope turret. All you need to do is level the rifle in your vise based on the action rail level, then as you adjust your scope you can keep it level. Especially helpful if your rings can tilt the scope as you tighten. Watching the level on the turret tells you immediately if you are going out of level. Why didn't I think to invent such a simple tool?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.