Leupy vs. NightForce

GG,

I just picked this spot as jumping in point , not necessarily as a reply to what you have said , however, you already know that I like / use Leupolds .

I own " cheap " Leupolds and top of the line Leupolds. I could wish that Leupold had never prostituted themselves for the dollar by introducing the vx whatever series just so folks could say that they have a " Leupold "

I really think they screwed up in this matter as a Leupold should be a Leupold . I mean , we already have Bushnells , Burris, Nikons, and these are not listed in any particular order , as a matter of fact it is my opinion that Nikon is about to deliver a major as..... ahhh butt kicking to Leupold unless something changes . Furthermore , I consider this a good thing, we all tend to sit on our laurels unless challenged .

Thing is , I do not have / own any Night force scopes , so .......my lookout is flawed in that comparo , but , I do own Nikons and can vouch for their quality vs. the Leupys of the same price range( actually the Loops are a tad more ,and don't have the features of the Nikons) I plan on trying out a NXS for myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif fun both ways, eh !

Pretty much a ****ing match as far as I'm concerned at this point . I mean really, that many of you able to use / differentiate between these without owning all of them and doing extensive tests ?

This is not in my humble opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif it is in my biased opinion and I really think that the scope vs scope vs scope thing is needing a rest , probably for a year or so, just to give time for new stuff for us to crank about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Please , all in fun , Jim

Yes I agree with most of what you said.

However, in todays tough competitive sporting/hunting market, if you don't produce a scope in the $200 range and some in the $300 dollar range, you won't be in business long. I can tell you from making a living in this business that hunting scopes outsell target/bench scopes 10 to 1. THe scopes that most of us like here on LRH for our super long range endeavors are made for a minority.

A company fixing to make a profit in optics must make some scopes that will alure the average big game hunter. That is why Burris has their Signature series, Bushnell has their 3200's and Trophy's, Nikon has their Buckmaster's and Prostaffs', and Leupold has their VXI and VXII's.

If one desires to make a fair comparison, they need to compare scopes of similiar price range. No one would dare argue that it isn't fair to compare a PRostaff and a NXS. So why must we compare VXII's to S&B's? THis was all I was trying to point out.

Ditto on the unfair comparisons.A major point so easily overlooked , or perhaps that should be so willingly overlooked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Now , where can I get my hands on a good used Nightforce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jim

GG,

The way I see it, for the general shooting public and even up to some relatively high levels of experienced shooters, Leupold scopes are the end all of scopes.

We have all grown up starting with Bushnells and Tascos and then graduated step by step to where we finally end up.

To me a top end Leupold was just a given that it was a quality scope. That said, when I started shooting I will admit that I preferred Burris to Leupold. We they better, no, could I afford them better is all.

I think what you are seeing is that Leupolds are not mentioned as much because they are kind of a given. Everyone knows the top end Leupolds are quality.

Guess thats how I see it anyway.

Kirby Allen(50)

All Board

In the final analysis....it doesn't make one whit of difference what one uses....as long as THEY LIKE IT....and it works for them! Now...since my son owns a NF and I've shot it a few times....I like the view but I've taken an awful lot of game with Leupold for many years past! Hell...they'll both work...and well! It just depends on what "your taste" is! If a guy can bust quart mason jars from 1000 yds. with an Otasco....I say....GO FOR IT!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In reference to the NF scopes akin to what my son has with the MOA stadia horizontal lines it appears to me that these would work much better if NF would number those lines with a small number off to the side of each one!

"This NXS model has a full 110 moa or vertical adjustment"

The M1X16 has 140MOA of adjustment!

Pays your money you makes the choice but i have compared and tried numerous of each and almost every NXS there is and none come close to my old Mark4 except in terms of brightness. Edge to edge definition outstanding, sharpness and clarity, just couldnt live with the milk bottle comparatively glass or fish bowl effect, thats why so many have sold them. Brilliant marketeers.

Have a look on the Barrett site barely a Nightforce in sight.

Lerch, I own a Leupold 4.5x14x50mm Long Range Tacticle, Nightforce 5.5x22x56mm NXS and a Nightforce 12x42x56mm NXS. I love Leupold and Nightforce, however, I perfer the Nightforce NXS. If your going to buy a high end scope, and you have the $, by the Nightforce NXS. Good luck, Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.