Leupy vs. NightForce

Well....one of the WORST KICKING rifles I ever had (before brakes) was a .378 Weatherby shooting hot loads and the Leupy on it....stood up like a champ! I probably put over 2000 rounds through that rifle over a period of 3 years and the scope went with the rifle when I sold it! The guys still shooting the same scope to my knowledge!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And don't most of those rifles you're speaking of....HAVE BRAKES UP FRONT?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

the only thing I don't understand here is that some people are making the Leups out to be crap and the NF to be the holy grail of optics.
If the tracking is that much better in the NF then it will definantly be something i might wanna sell my first born for. But either way the Leup still makes a hell of a long range hunting scope.

steve

Can't miss this opportunity. How about the Schmidt & Bender - I recently looked up at a satelite going overhead and I could clearly see Pete's finger prints on it! Tried that with my NXS and MK 4 and could not even see the satelite!!! (Pete, that was with my new set of eye glasses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)
Leupy vs Nightforce - buy what you enjoy and to hell what the others guys use. NXS is a heck of a scope, so are the original fixed power REAL MK4's. I shoot them both a lot, although seems the NXS is winning the battle in my gunsafes.

For me I have changed from Leupold to the NXS's with the NPR-2 reticle and just love them.

Lerch
you sell Leupy right!
Nobody said leupy were crap (except you)
Leupy has some great scopes and have had them for several years!! when your on top of the game some times you never retool untill your competition closes in or somebody has a comparable or better product. Leupy has great products for the average sportsman. Every Tom, Dick and lerch will never need a nightforce but probably already have a leupy.

You ask for other peoples opinions and you got several

Even tho your mind was madeup before hand. you like Leupy,you sell Leupy, you can buy Leupy wholesale, and you should stand up for them. No problem here I even like Leupy

I only have one nightforce scope. I like it. I like it alot!

Don't and I repeat Don't sell your first born, It's not that good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

CAM

You betcha! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My only gripe with Nightforce (and S&B for that matter) is a serious lack of lightweight hunting scopes. I really don't want to pay $430 dollars for a lightweight Mcmillan stock (where they are trying hard to shave of ounces) and then turn around and throw a 2lb scope on it! Yes, I know they make smaller and lighter models in the NXS line but not in a suitable long range variable power.

I would really like to see them become competitive in the sporter weight/hunting arena of optics. I know they could make a dandy if they tried. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Until then, I will just have to shoot through my Leupy's!

One thing that I've noticed not mentioned yet is that Leupold for the most part only has a 3 fold power change range where as Nightforce has a four fold power change range. If money were no object I'd buy the Nightforce...But money does slow me down on the scope inventory. I have bought the Nikon Tact. Scope for my hunting rig. I think Leupold should use the known aftermarket modifications in their production of the VX-III scopes, as far as the tracking system goes. The VX-III should have the fourfold power change range and etched reticle too.
For those who don,t know what I mean by the four fold/three fold power change range....It's for the variable scopes only. The lowest power setting divided into the highest power setting either divides into by 3 or by 4. You get for example Leupold a 4.5-14 or with a 4-fold scope 4-16. I know that the 4.5-14 isn't exactly 3 but the actual Leupold power isn't exactly 4.5-14 either.
Now as far as light weight goes...you could always looses a couple of pounds with diet & exercise.
goodgrouper I'm not picking on you at all. You have impressed me like very few others, I enjoy your post and bragg about you to my freinds when talking guns & shooting. Thanks for all that you share with us.

well actually I didnt say anyone called Leup crap, i said some people were making them out to crap and I didnt understand that.
Also I definantly never called leups crap.

Yes I use Leup primarily because I think they are a very good product for the average and above average sportsman and I can buy them pretty cheap.

I in no way had my mind made up going into this little conversation nor do I have it made up yet.
Two of the people who's opinions I respect the most, Kirby and GG, have differing opinions on this matter.

The point of my last statement was that it seemed like some people seemed to be extreemly lop sided in their opinion and I simply commented on that.

I know how much can be misinterpreted or lost in the translation of these online post but still I definantly sensed a condecending aspect to your posts.

As for everyone else thankyou for your opinions and I hope we can keep them coming.

Take it easy
Steve

well now after having said all that I will say that I may have to look into a NF for my next Kirby project.

I have been reading some NF literature and I really like the zero stop feature and I have had problems in the past with old Leups not tracking back down to zero.

I do really like the small open space in the MK4 TMR reticle and I know BJ was having a good time with it on pdogs at 1600yds.

Either way I go it is still nice to hear the pro's and cons of the two scopes.

take it easy
steve

[ QUOTE ]
Now as far as light weight goes...you could always looses a couple of pounds with diet & exercise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, if I did that I would have to put rocks in my pockets to keep from blowing over in Wyoming! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks fourinone.

[ QUOTE ]
The point of my last statement was that it seemed like some people seemed to be extreemly lop sided in their opinion and I simply commented on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree with you more on this Lerch. I have noticed this too. With some people it seems that with Leupold, if you like another scope better, you can't also like Leupold. They can't say, "I like S&B or Nightforce" without also mentioning that Leupy's are %*#^. Why can't they just say, "I prefer Nightforce" and leave it at that?

I like Swaro, NIghtforce, S&amp;B and Leupold all in their own strengths. <font color="red"> I do not have to put one down to raise another. </font> I have attendend several optical seminars hosted by many high grade optics manufacturers and can see right through peoples biases because what they say just isn't true. And it has been backed up by other companies giving credit to other manufacturers where credit was due. In fact, they all "steal" ideas and manufacturing process from each other and simply put their own twist onto them.

Yes, there are many good ideas and many good scopes out there. Almost as many as their are eyes to look through them! The whole problem with optics is that it is a <font color="blue"> HUGE </font> variable because you have 6 billion different eyes looking through thousands of different pieces of glass so making any hard fast rules about anything is all bogus. <font color="blue"> It is all literally in the eyes of the beholder. </font> ONe might as well start an argument on the prettiest color, or the best tasting food. It is all relative.

By the way, I vote for blue and elk steak!

The Title to the post was Leupy vs. Nightforce

I assumed you wanted an opinion on what WE liked best.

Why would someone pay more for product "A" when product "B" was less money and just as good?

To compare or favor one over the other is what I thought you ask for.

Again I just prefer the NXS over my Leupold and never meant to belittle Leupold. I just thought the post had a funny timing and the leupolds are selling like hotcakes so there are several people that like them! I even thought about buying one for my 22-250.

Just to keep the pot stired RED ALL THE WAY!! PS. GG how about a quick leason on font color!!

The ELK Steak also gets my vote.

I'm out-a-here on this matter
so good luck with them G-hogs
CAM

WEll you can add my grain into the salt pile as well.

I started out hunting with an old Weaver. Then when I got enough odd job cash saved I got my first Leupy. After that I bought several more. Got up to around 8 or 10. Then my bud and I went in together on our first long range project and I got a Burris 6-24 for it. After that one I seemed to be able to see clearer and sharper through them. Now I have several of the original Leupy's sitting idol replaced by various Burris pieces. Then after half a year or so of saving and reading all of the reports of the AM's I decided to go for it and when I did, I decided to top it with the NF 5.5x22x50.

I have played with it some while out shooting my other rifles. More just as a spotting scope than anything else. I must say that I have been very impressed with it so far. I have been able to see game at times later than I could with any of my other scopes. Might not be a S&amp;B but I think it will make the new additions a real nice system.

With you and Bill up there shooting yours it just makes the anticipation level that much more intense. For now though I will just be practiing with my buds 300 RUM.

So as you can see for me at least, I have tried several brands, and most of the upper ended ones as well. Just depends on the intended purpose, personal preferences, and the cash situations.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.