Leupold VXIII 8.5-25x50 Opinions??

Waffen

Gentlemen,

I have reacently been tossing the idea around of purchasing a Leupold VXIII 8.5-25x50mm scope to replace the 6.5-20x40 Vari-XIII currently on it. I have been astounded at the image quality of the Vari-XIII. It was my first Leupold, but it won't be my last.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any opinions of the scope, in terms of durability, image quality, and adjustments. I was also wondering if yall think it would be worth it to save up for a Nightforce Benchrest model?

This scope will be used 95% for range purposes, and 5% deer busting. I'm use to high power scopes for hunting so thats no big deal for me.

Thoughts? Opinions?

You won't be dissapointed. I've had 2 of these and they are great scopes. Very durable, good adjustments and good optics.

I've recently replaced both of mine w/the NXS 5.5-22x50mm. So far, I haven't noticed much difference in optics, but he adjustments (both parallax and target turrets) are much better on the NF as well as the reticle. I think I'm going to have a long and meaningfull relationship w/these two NFs!!

Waffen
I have a both scopes you mention. I purchased the 8.5x25x50 30mm to replace the VXIII 6x20x40 on a custom 700 big 30, 8lbs. The scope did not 'fit' the rifle. It just seemed to 'big' physically and the 8.5 bottom was a little much up close. I put the 6x20x40 back on.
I have since purchased an Accumark in 7STW and it 'fits' that rifle very well and it looks right on that rifle too.
I Agree they are both great glass. This is my experience w/ these 2 scopes. I'm keeping them both on those rifles.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Leupold VXIII 8.5-25x50 for the money.I have six of these scopes on all my heavy barreled varmint rifles.I had one inch tube 8.5-25x40s on my guns before and there is no comparison.The VXIII 8.5-25x50 with the 30 mm tube gives you way more adjustment, the optics are way brighter, and the side focus is a nice feature.

Optics are about the same on the whole as BR and NXS except they dont white out, save your money just add the M1 turrets off the genuine Mark4 and a decent ret such as a TMR via the custom shop.
The latest VX3 dont seem to suffer from heat expansion as much if at all any unlike previous models. Glass and coatings are pretty good in all but very low light, on mine anyway, but if you do need ultra low light its a S&B or a variable power Mark4 with the better glass and coatings.
Eye relief same as other highish mag production scopes globally at roughly 3"
The screw on intensifiers may be worth a try also, i just use the OG filter for all round use and protection. The BZ really brings bark and browns out with definition more approaching the Mark4, but does add the bronze tinge though.

I was saving up for a Nightforce Benchrest, I recently looked through one in a side by side comparison with a 8.5x25 Leupold LRT. If I had to choose and use one, cost not even being in the discussion, I would pick the Leupold 8.5x25. In fact I did....again.

Repaired last night whilst waiting for an email.
These have a shear pin 0.75mm dia into a blind hole which usually break off flush so have to be drilled out bearing in mind its surrounded by aluminium, Mark 4 are beefier 1/16" (1.58mm.)
Now even smoother than silk.

Its the stop pin which comes into play at the min and max focus ranges. Its inside the turret which unscrews anticlockwise revealing the cam assy.

Waffen If your going to do nothing but LOOOOOONG RANGE Hunting with your rifle, the 8.5 on the low end of the scope power is no big deal. However, if your going to use the rifle & scope for shots under 200 yards, things will become a bit dicey when it comes time to view your target.
This is why I prefer the 6 power on the lower end of the adjustment power.

Too late it's already ordered! I've shot animals at short distances with a scope cranked up to 32 power before so i'm not too woried. I know things become dicey but i'm pretty use to absurdly high powered scopes. This thing will probably see a shot at no longer than 300 yards in the feild and i'm mounting it on a 300 RUM so the thing shoots like a laser as it is. I sight for 200 and I can easly dial up/down for each condition. At the range however thats a different story.