Leupold VX-L Have you seen this yet ???????????

uncleB

I just noticed a new line of Leupold scopes and thought you would like to check it out they have bigger objective lens with a W on the front of the bell so they can mount lower.
<u>www.leupold.com</u>
UB

I have seen them in the mags. Good reviews. I think they look kinda funny myself. Could take some getting use to. The idea is your getting 50mm glass sitting on low rings. Pretty good concept if you ask me.

We've got a few of the 1" tubed 50mm VX-Ls in. Our rep was in the other day w/a 4.5-14x56mm. If you look in their catalog, this scope has turrets on it. However, their production model will not. The 6.5-20x56mm will, but not the 4.5-14x56mm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Great idea, I bet med rings will work on the 56mm!!! Kinda heavy though, the 4.5-14 weighed in @ 24 oz.

Maybe its just me but I have always found the 40mm-44mm models to be more than capable of getting the job done in almost any light. When it starts getting dark, just turn down the power ring a bit and you will get all the light that your eye can use. I also own 50mm and 56mm scopes but the 40mm is really hard to beat on a hunting rifle.

With that being said, we live in a society where bigger always seems to be better. These new large objective scopes will probably sell just fine because they are bigger &amp; better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They should be just the ticket for my 338megamag whitetail smasher. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

We live in a society where "we" are getting older and even with magnification turned down can't see to shoot the last thirty minutes of the day if it is overcast. I clocked it twice this winter. I surely hope bigger is better. Or else pretty soon I will only be able to shoot at high noon.

I agree that 40mm is plenty... And that VX-L, I'm afraid, is atrocious... Looks like someone left it laying on the dashboard in the hot sun for way too long...

90279.jpg

wizardofzwitchmelt5.JPG

"I'm melting! I'm melting!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dan

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen one in person, but based on the pictures, I don't want one. They would have been better off if you ask me simply finding a better source for their glass or improving the coatings.

BB, As we get older our eye will only allow so much light in since the iris will only open so far. I read that past 45-50 yrs old, we are down to a 4mm max iris opening. Nature isn't kind to old eyes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts