Leupold vx-7

goodgrouper

Got to peer through one of these scopes today and I have one word: ****! This might very well be the best scope I have ever looked through. The resolution and contrast are absolutely awesome. The clarity is so good, I could look through one all day and never get fatigued!

I love the pop open turrets with the screw on caps. No more loosing the caps or forgetting to pick them up after taking a shot.

The bad things are that it has a 30mm tube but only has 45 minutes of travel (3-12x50) instead of 90 minutes like most their other 30mm tubes. It also has small zero markers that might be hard for older eyes to read. And it has no lock ring for the diopter. It moves pretty stiffly but I think it could still get moved inside a gun case or in a scabbard.

I have no need for a mid range power scope right now, but as soon as they put out a 6-20 or 8-25, I will be all over it like white on rice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GG,
Pat Mundy at Leupold tells me there is 4.5-18x56L VX7 coming. That should be a superb scope for the lightweight under 9lb walkabout longrange rifles, so long as it has enough adjustment?

Check one out a while back, pretty impressive to say the least. I wish they would put that glass in the MK4s

Grouper,
I have been shooting one for a while now and it is right up there with Zeiss, Swaro and Schmidt to my eyes. Really like the turrets but they are not what we are used to - 20 moa per revolution and like you say, kind of small increments. For some reason they put the same pop-up assembly on the parallax turret, means messing around a bit before you can fine tune your focus.

You hit it on the head, optics are superb. Nice looking scope, lots of eye-relief and just plain reliable. Should be for the $ they cost, but you get what you pay for with this scope. I would say it is as nice a hunting scope as anyone could find on the market today. Mine has the B&C reticle, I prefer to click but no doubt the marks would be worth playing with.

Oh yea, put that glass in the Mark 4 and we are talking a contender to the NXS and the other big boys.

Grouper,

With the idea of 45 MOA of adjustment, minus 5 for zeroing, add a 20 MOA base, 30 cal, 507 bc (aka 180 Accubond) at 3000 fps, 25 on the mercury, 59 temp, 20 humidity, 1.8 scope height, EXBAL is coming up with just a skootch over 1300 yds. I'm getting pretty confident to about 800 yds as far as groups and hitting.

Anything wrong with that? I ask because my IOR 3-18x42mm is sold pending funds and I'm on the verge of buying a Mk 4 4.5-14x50. I looked at the VX7 over at Sportsman's a week back was was equally impressed with the optics. My initial impressions were this scope is not for turret crankers. Are you thinking different?

I do not see the 3-12 listed in my dealer catalogs, is this a new model? Not sure why they would do a 3-12 when they have a 3.5-14 already.

So tell me, for the price you have to pay, roughly the same as a NF NXS, is the glass quality that much better then an NXS to put up with the very limited selection of reticles offered and really pathetic adjustment range they have.

I am sure you can, for an extra $200 get them custom fitted with the Mil dot or TMR reticle but then your well over what you could get an NXS 3.5-15x 50mm for. Just does not add up to that great of a deal to me from what I have seen so far.

They may have slightly better optics then the NXS, I Can not see it with my eyes however and the features offered by the NXS make it a far better scope in my opinion.

Not to take anything away from Leupold on offering new products but for the money they are charging, I would at least like to see 65 moa with the standard option for some real reticles for long range shooting.

Just my opinion but I have not had that 3-12 in my hands so you know much more then I. How would you compare it to the NXS?

Also, they have not been out very long, will be interesting to see how they stack up as far as reliablilty wise and trackability over time.

Kirby Allen(50)

The 4.5-18x56L VX7 coming should be something really nice. I'm getting exicted thinking about it. Anybody have a possible release date in mind?

I stopped by the local Sportsman's Warehouse on the way home from work last evening. I looked at their 3.5-14x50mm VX7. Cranking top to bottom and back again, it had 55 MOA of elevation. Taking away 5 for zeroing, using a 2650 fps 308 load with the Sierra 175 MK at sealevel, 59 temp, corrected 29.92 pressure and 1.5 scope height on JBM (my EXBAL is at the office) you can go to about 715 yds.

My Nosler 180 BT (.507 bc) at my nominal 5000' elev, 25 Mercury, 59 temp, 3050 fps in my '06 Ackley gets me to 940 yds. But since I use a 20 MOA base its more like 1365 yds.

Not so sure I like the pop up turret covers, though I'm sure they wont get lost. It had 20 MOA per revolution. Just not so sure it's worth $400 more than the Mk 4 4.5-14x50mm w/ TMR reticle though a SxS comparison would be nice. No turret covers to loose with the M1 dials.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.