Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50 scope opinions?

WEATHERBY460

It is $960, 30mm, is it a good scope for the moeny? I need it for my 243 to shoot 500 yards at paper.....please share opinions.

This is a great scope, more than enough for your needs. It amazes me how many people whine about Leupold's. Why the hate? The glass is very good, they track very well, the parallax and focus is great, they are well made and the customer service and warranty is probably the best I have personally dealt with. You will at some point send it in for mods or repairs. I have S&B's, Zeiss high and mid end, Kahles and Burris, other than the glass quality of the S&B which is slightly better I give up nothing with my American made and serviced VXIII's and Mark 4's. Buy it use it, be happy. The company is one of the oldest makers in America for a reason!

Dig- Thank you I could not have said it as well, I have put Leupolds on the last four rifles I bought, some folks thank of them as second class optics but I like em. :)

Agree, I and I think of most of the "New Brands" croping up as second class. They may have a few new Bells and Whistles but the quality of glass is just not there. We will see how long they stay in business. How many have come and gone in my 14 years hunting, many.

This is a great scope, more than enough for your needs. It amazes me how many people whine about Leupold's. Why the hate? The glass is very good, they track very well, the parallax and focus is great, they are well made and the customer service and warranty is probably the best I have personally dealt with. You will at some point send it in for mods or repairs. I have S&B's, Zeiss high and mid end, Kahles and Burris, /QUOTE]

Excepting the Burris, Leupold quality does not match with the others. You did not include Nightforce or March, and they are top of the line too.

I have the Leupold VX 3 on a varmint rifle. It is just okay, not spectacular.

The VX3 LR scopes are "the best" scopes for the money. I replace the elevation turret with a Kenton Industries 3 Tier MOA turret and am perfectly happy with them. And yes I do own other scopes - NF.

I agree that the VX3 is just OK - I have a 3.5-10x40. I have other scopes too and older Leupolds (VXII) that had better glass.

Dig, the VXIII and VX3 are not the same, although the one replaced the other. I had better glass in the older model that I have.

Not knocking them as I own five Leupolds, just saying. My VX3 is very much at home on a lightweight 308 and tracking seems good. It's light and trim for the magnification, but clarity is lacking.

Leupold has awesome customer service - that I will second.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.