Leupold vx 3 6.5-20x50

Jon A, No one was delving into conspiracies until you mentioned it. Just asking how one is to know for sure? Awful defensive. Sheesh.

If you are going with just the duplex, then the zeiss is worth a look, especially at that price. It does not have the elevation adjustment of the Leupy though.

I agree with you 100%, The leupy does have more elevation adjustment over the zeiss but not in quality of optics,tracking,consistant eye relief,over all quality and it does have as good of a warranty, better if you take into account zeiss will send you a loaner scope to use while yours is being repaired and the price is more inline for the quality you get. I've owned leupolds and got away from them because of the price vs quality, their getting behind the times. As for MOA 95+% people don't need the kind of adjustment ( I don't) and if I did I would go with a 20 MOA base. It's all about getting the most bang for your buck. It would be hard for me to be happy with leupold again but maybe in the future, maybe!

savage7mag.... to get back to your original question, i think that you can't go wrong at all with your choice of the Leupold VXIII 6.5-20 LR. i got the same scope (only about 5 years older) on a 6.5-.284 that has been in and out of the canyons, rode in the back of the truck, and been on the bench at the NW 1000yd championships. POI has not moved at all. good rings and bases are important; i use the Leupold PRW rings and a badger pic rail. I will also say that i always have the elevation cap off and the only time that its not still on zero is if i forget to crank it back down to zero after a shot. another plus would be that Leupy hasadded the ext twilight coating to the vxiii's

Jon A, No one was delving into conspiracies until you mentioned it.
You have accused a great multitude of people of lying because they said they had problems with scopes of your favorite brand (which is pretty low in my book BTW). A bunch of people lying all with the same end goal in mind implies a conspiracy as it would be highly coincidental for so many liars to randomly decide to all lie about the same thing.
Awful defensive.
The only "awful defensiveness" here is your defense of Leupold by blindly accusing anybody who ever has a problem with one of lying. That isn't just Cheer-leading taken to the extreme, but a pretty crappy thing to do in my opinion. Constantly questioning the integrity of other men when you have absolutely no cause for it other than it makes for good cheer-leading has lowered my opinion of you. Hopefully you won't get defensive about that.

I have owned and used scopes from well over a dozen different brands. Some of them I didn't like too much. Some of them I liked pretty well. Some of them I like a great deal. None of them have been perfect.

The idea that one particular brand makes scopes that are beyond all criticism is quite childish and not remotely realistic.

You said that SIIIs were brighter and clearer than VX-3s, that I can't even remotely agree with. Maybe when compared to a VX-II, maybe.

One guy said that his scope wouldn't work and was in the mail all the time, then changed it to I sent it back to get fixed, then sold it on ebay to some when he thought it wouldn't group. The change in story makes me wonder is all.

Then you show a recycled pic of a canted reticle with no way of telling you made the scope. If this were a court of law, you would have nothing to support your claim except exagerated claims and second hand pictures.

I never said Leupold was the best glass out there. I said for hunting purposes, it is hard to beat them, when you take in to account their price, stellar customer service record, selection of recticles and ruggedness. Add to that they are Made in the USA and they are my top pick for hunting glass.

There are plenty of clearer and higher performing scopes. THey happen to cost more is all. You get what you pay for. For me, the best scope I have ever used was a S&B. But for the price, and weight, I will stick with Leupold for hunting.

Thanks for the opinions guys, any more about helping me decide on a scope is much appreciated. Lets stop with the ****ing contest and agree that everyone has had different experiences and everyone has different preferences. I understand that anything I read on here I should evaluate for myself and am not going to make my decision based on what one person says. Thanks for all the opinions and useful info. I have had great luck with leupolds so far but am not opposed to trying somthing new. Right now I think I will wait until I can see a viper PST in person and then make the call between the Vortex, Leupold, and Zeiss. I think all have good things and bad things about them.

If anyone has another scope I should consider in the 700-1000 price range and around 20 top end power with a 50mm objective please let me know.

Thanks for the opinions guys, any more about helping me decide on a scope is much appreciated. Lets stop with the ****ing contest and agree that everyone has had different experiences and everyone has different preferences. I understand that anything I read on here I should evaluate for myself and am not going to make my decision based on what one person says. Thanks for all the opinions and useful info. I have had great luck with leupolds so far but am not opposed to trying somthing new. Right now I think I will wait until I can see a viper PST in person and then make the call between the Vortex, Leupold, and Zeiss. I think all have good things and bad things about them.

If anyone has another scope I should consider in the 700-1000 price range and around 20 top end power with a 50mm objective please let me know.

The new Sightron SIII should make your list too. Best turrets out there, optics not as good as the Leupy or Zeiss, though some will think different.

You said that SIIIs were brighter and clearer than VX-3s, that I can't even remotely agree with.
And you have never before even so much as looked through a new 6-24 SIII outside. Your opinion is entirely made up. That you'd use your entirely made up guess of an opinion as a factual basis from which to accuse others of being untruthful says volumes about you.
Then you show a recycled pic of a canted reticle with no way of telling you made the scope. If this were a court of law, you would have nothing to support your claim except exagerated claims and second hand pictures.
Once again, I posted a link to numerous threads where you can read all the accounts and see the pictures first hand. It's not my fault you were too lazy to do so. I guess you're afraid to hear what all those liars have to say.

And you have never before even so much as looked through a new 6-24 SIII outside. Your opinion is entirely made up. That you'd use your entirely made up guess of an opinion as a factual basis from which to accuse others of being untruthful says volumes about you.

Lighten up Francis, I simply disagree with you. I don't know who makes that scope you pictured, and I have every right to doubt those that come across as suspicious, changing their story or admiting to selling damaged goods to people on ebay. As far as my opinion, it is as valid as yours. Side by side, the SIII lacks in clarity to the Leupold, in my opinion. Deal with it. Other than that, you're right you win, now leave me alone please.

As far as my opinion, it is as valid as yours. Side by side, the SIII lacks in clarity to the Leupold, in my opinion.
On what planet? Do you know what the word "valid" means? I have looked through them. You have not. Explain why you think our opinions are equal? Your imagination is as "valid" as my eyeball?

Looks like your eyes need checking.

But please, have the last word. I really don't care anymore.

Last edited:
I own three Sightron SIIIs in 6-24x50mm. I've compared them to Zeiss Conquest and Leupold VX-3, VariX-III, and LPS. Compared them to IOR. The SIII had the better glass. Equivalent to the IOR in resolution, but better than the IOR in light transmission. Better resolution and light transmission than the Zeiss Conquest. And the Leupolds don't even deserve mentioned in the same class - optically.

Jon A's evaluations of the Sightron SIII's most closely coincides with my own experiences.

On what planet? Do you know what the word "valid" means? I have looked through them. You have not. Explain why you think our opinions are equal? Your imagination is as "valid" as my eyeball?
Read every post in this thread. Seems that someone definitely has a problem with other people not agreeing with him. Every one is entitled to his/her opinion. If it doesn't agree with yours. Get over it. You don't hold the patent on opinions. And that is all that these threads are. OPINIONS!!! Use what you like and I'll use what works for me, OK/:)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.