Leupold: Target Knobs or M1?

Are you gonna be dialing constantly, or just for the occasional long shot?

Any chance of the adjustments getting moved or rotated unintentionally?

If you're the "sight in at 100 and dial everything all the time" type, go with the M1.

If you're the "sight in at 300, use a reticle for holdover/windage usually, dial only when needed" type, perhaps the target knobs.

The target type will be covered If I am not mistaken, and less likely to get moved if you are just dialing the scope every once in a while. Although, the M1 knobs on my Mk4 seem fairly stout. I've seen tactical style knobs get moved a full rev out more than once.

I'm sure this has been beaten to death but I'm leaning "Grey-Bull" style. I'm switching my Leupold to a TMR and working windage with it and marking hold overs to 500 on the vertical mil marks. Then dialing for anything seriously long

Is that sound thinking?

Perfectly sound IMO.

That can, has, does, and will work. Some of us were shooting LR before rangefinders and ballistic programs, and that is how we did it. Back then, most affordable scopes didn't track worth a darn when we clicked the adjustments. I've been using a reticle of some sort or another for 300-600 yd shots for nearly 20 yrs now.

You might want the low profile CDS dial for that, in plain moa marking.I carry my rifle at front in safari sling and binocs in my own version ,off pack straps front also, dont bang toghether.I usemy TMR just as you mentioned

I guess the other reason for the target Turret is I find myself rushing to dial on long shots that are extremely fast. So from that I figure that cap would make me reconsider those shots and calm down and hunt instead getting nervous over a lost op.

I guess I just see it as an ethical advantage. But I could be arm chairing this a bit more than I should. I just want to get my single hunting rig rolling true so I can learn the gun and shooting technique instead of taking short cuts and "trying things" more often than I should.

It is nice to see my 300 win w/ 210 Bergers being very reticle and turret friendly. I don't know what others are experiencing.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.