Leupold Scopes???

JR
A group of us has taken a lease on a good lump of forestry about 20 mins outside FW.Fingers and any other parts of my anatomy are crossed for a Sika stag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just returned from Perthshire.

You were correct about the weather mate.It rained so hard it made my head hurt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.For two days solid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bagged a very nice Fallow Buck with some decent palmations and a good fallow doe.Saw no Prickets,and only one Roe doe.Plenty of Red Stags on the hill, but out of season /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

As soon as i get my head together i will get some pics posted.

As for my leupold....Well i have to admit it cost me a shot on a Fallow Doe on the edge of dark.I could see her OK with the Zeiss bino`s, but not the scope and therefore was not comfortable with the shot.I am certain had my Meopta been there i would have been fine.
To be fair to Leupold,when the designer of the 6.5x20x50 VX111 LRT sat down at his drawing board,he did not have dark,wet,miserable evenings in Perthshire as his performance criteria and i was asking the scope to do something it was not designed to do.

NICK.

PS... How do you get a Ked from up your nose? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DS.
E-mail me and i will tell you what car Ian drives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif(BOY RACER) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

NICK.

Hi BRIT(Nick),

Do you know what custom stick Ian has also? He is being very secretive.

David.

ds,
i'm very poor, my wife takes all my money and spends it on bingo fags and booze and nights out for her mates, the rest she squanders on donna kebabs and having her facial hair removed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

She was kind enough though to leave me some to buy my boy racer turbo nutter car with just enough room to carry the twelve kids and the wifes mother, with gran running along outside tide to the bumper, closely followed by tyson the pit bull.

I had to sell my left kidney to pay for my stick and i allowed them to cary out medical experiments on the wifes mother to pay for my scope and reloading equipment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
(the funny thing is there's no difference to her personality)

Ian

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

ds,
i will let you out of your misery, i can tell you are dying to know.

Fully accurised 700 action with holland recoil lug and bolt handle.

Rifle basix trigger.

Pac-nor 3 groove, 1 in 8 twist No8 contour 27" stainless barrel chambered in 243 Ackley.

Bedded in to a HS precision Pro series 2000 stock fitted with a versa pod bi-pod.

A Leupold 8.5-25x50 MK4 with M1 turrets and mill-dot reticle is clamped with MK4 rings onto a Warne tactical rail.

I have not shot it yet because the wife has gone off on a 6 month hen party to Majorca and left me to look after the kids and her mother.
Bread and water and dead rats for the mother in law is using up most of my food budget, what i've got left has enabled me to load up one round.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got inthe way"

There are various models in the Leupold range each to a respective price, therefore it is not fair to compare a VX3 or older Vari x 3 with the likes of Swarovski, S&B or Nightforce BR & NXS! The Mark 4 fixed or variables will be a match though although a lot cheaper.
Meoptas brilliant underestimated scopes, shame about the five price hikes in the last few years but still approx 3/5 the price of a Kahles.

Hi Ian,

We may get accused of hi-jacking this thread but.....

Now that sounds like a very nice stick, a tad American other than the versa pod but very, very nice. Who put her together….sounds like the sort of thing Rifle Craft would put together.

Now I have been known to escape from behind the Iron Curtain, I usually get as far as Bisley around the time of the Phoenix. It takes them a couple of days to find me and drag me back.

When the wife returns from Majorca you will be in need of a short break somewhere like…..Bisley where you will be lured into harems of RPA, Norman Clarks and Fultons….. the experience usually results in the joy of a new rifle or three but leaves the wallet some what deflated. The addiction gets to the point that you no longer notice or care that you have sold your turbo charged super car and drive a Skoda to pay for another beautiful curvaceous and tactile rifle…..I am already past well the point of no return. Eventually you will feel the need to sell the mother in law and buy S&B scopes.

In fairness because you shared your rifle specs mine are: 260 Rem tight neck 28" Border r5 cut rifled tube 32mm diameter no taper. AICS 2.0 stock, RPA Quadlite repeater action with 20moa picatinny rail, RPA 1lb trigger, heavily re-engineered Accushot ASAI monopod, Parker Hale bipod with Norman Clark cant lock screw. USO bubble level. When they show up a S&B 5-25x56 will go on top with Badger rings (I sometimes borrow a NXS until the S&B`s show).

Little sister is on her way, she will identical but with a shorter barrel…possibly in 6BR Norma or 6.5x47 Lapua…if it happens. When I decide on caliber and get a barreled action she is ready to put together…..Well worth driving a Skoda for.

david

Hi David,
I have visited the harem of Norman Clark and romped to the tune of several thousand pounds, he built me a benchrest gun in 2001, his palace is almost on my doorstep just 7 miles away.

I met Brit at Bisley in 1989 at the anno domini pistol meeting and we met up there every year since, even after the pistol ban, up untill 2002.
We now meet up several times a year at Ministerly (where i am a member) for a couple of days target shooting, load developement and good company.

Anyway back to the point i have visited Fultons many times, and its like going through a time warp, never bought anything there though.
You were right about my burner being a Riflecraft, which i bought from Dave Ryan.
I bought it used, it only having had 2 boxes of factory through it.
I have been getting a lot of stick about it, people saying that Riflecraft are crap, i checked it over thoroughly and could not fault the workmanship. I also had Norman check the throat which was fine.

I bought it in june but due to my muscular Illness i have
been unable to get out and shoot it ( i am walking disabled although not very well), thats why i need my car and thats where we come up to my other problem.
As well as being a gun nut i am also a petrol head and have a love affair with high performance saloon cars.
My current ride is a 2000 Mondeo ST200, a V6 saloon with 205ps @6750rpm, in excellent condition with only 55000 miles on the clock and i can honestly say that my rifles would go before my car.

Your rifle specs sound very nice and i can visualise it right now, the paralell tube is, if you dont mind saying an unusual choice, there must be a fair bit of heft there.
i thought mine was heavy at 14lbs.
In my opinion the RPA action is much better suited to the AICS stock then a remmy, it makes for a very handsome installation, but the stock that gets my heart beeting faster at the moment is the new F-class from Mcmillan.

I like the 260 and i think it is going to make serious inroads into the competition field especially in Improved form, together with a re-emergence of interest in the 284.
Its a very well balanced cartridge, possibly only being outshone by the 6.5x55.

I have got my eyes on a used 40xb in 7mmSTW, its got a shagged barrel which i want to rebarrel myself, when i am set up.
I too would be using a border barrel but i think i will try their Archer range to see how good they are.

Ian

Simon, apologies for this hi-jack, but you know we can get a bit carried away sometimes.

Hi Ian,

I have not heard much about Riflecraft being crap, expensive yes but not crap.

As it happens I can sympathise with you walking problems, I am now trussed up like a turkey with a neoprene wrap after a keyhole job on my right knee. I will be on sticks for another month. Had the other knee done two years ago.

I remember Pistol AD meetings. One thing about living in a former communist country... I can and do still have pistols and semi-auto rifles. Another thing apart from a few mobile speed detectors no speed cameras - but the yocals drive like idiots.

The 260 barrel is a tad heavy but the AICS carries it well. The idea was to create a sub 1/2moa gun with bugger all load development.....the idea worked. Drop me your email addy in a pm if you would like a few pics.

Also strange you mention Minsterley, I phoned them a month ago about RPA`s they were selling at trade prices, I did not buy one but they had a 2.0 AICS in that I got at a very good price.

david

Dave,
I'm very jealous pistols AND semi-auto's what fun.
I tried a pm but it was disabelled, my Email address is under my profile and i would really like to see some pics of your stick.
I will send you one of mine as soon as i get round to taking it, my gun cabinet is barricaded by a wall of christmas presents for the children (only 4 actually)and i cant be bothered to move them all at the moment.

Dave Ryan at Minsterly used to be an agent for RPA but that
now exclusively belongs to Sportsmans Gun Centre, maybe that is why they were selling at trade.
After the fiasco of Radnor ranges Dave needs to re-coup some funds, his fight against bureaucracy nearly cost him his business.

I have been told that Riflecraft dont do the work that you pay for, especially when it comes to accurizing, i could see when i inspected the inside of the action that work had been carried out. I smeared micrometer blue on the recoil lugs and upon examination about 85% had been wiped away.

I hear that czechoslovakian people are very passionate, i bet you get some gesturing on the roads.
Are you in the Czech Republic or Slovakia? Hunting is supposed to be top notch down there, is'nt that where Herman Goering had his private hunting reserve?

Ian,

Hi Guys, so the threads been hijacked what the hell its more interesting now anyway. The hunting down here in RSA is good and still relatively well priced by European and US standards. This year we shot springbuck, Fallow deer and Black Wildebeest. We hunted in the Karoo which is a semi-desert area very much like Arizona in the States. We are going through a tough time at present with the ANC government having brought in new Firearms Legislation. The legislation itself is not too bad however the police are not set up to actually implement it effectively so there are long waiting periods etc.

Let me know if any of you want info on hunting out here, my e-mail address is [email protected]

I hear the Check chicks are very passionate !! and lookers too, judging by those we saw at the IWA..

lug contact, no comment.
Pete

Hi Pete,
My mate goes Enduro riding in Romania each year.
They tow their bikes down there in a trailer, he tells me that the street girls over there make our top page 3 girls look like badgers.
What do you mean by "no comment" on lug contact, i would like your opinion.

Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts