Leupold Scope issue

birdrl

I have an older Vari X lll 3.5-10x40 (15 yo). I have always had it on a Rem 700 adl 30-06. Always worked fine. About 5 years ago I put it on a 338 WM worked fine for about 400 rounds. Then it started not holding 0. You would adjust it and the adjustment was not related to the number of clicks by a long ways. So I sent it into Leupold for service and had M1 turrets put on it at the same time. I have another 50 rounds on it and last night at the range I noticed I was hitting about 3 inchs high at 100 yds. I adjusted it 12 clicks down and fired, it is now hitting 12 clicks down and 20 clicks to the left and vertically stringing shots. So I adjust 20 clicks right it hits 20 clicks right and 24 clicks low. I give up. Go home switch to a Bushnell Elite 3200 4-15x40, boresight and bingo moves according to clicks and holds a good group. Does any one else have trouble with Leupold on magnum calibers. My son is having similar issues though not as bad on a 300RUM with a vari x7 I believe. Are the Burris Black Diamond scopes a better choice for the magnum calibers? Just reread this post, I am not bashing Leupold overall they have been good scopes for me, just looking for a good recoil resistant scope.Thanks

I 'm not taking leupolds side just because you told the truth about your situation with them, However I've had a vx3 6.5x20x50 on my 300 rum for about 5 yrs now maybe more I would guess that I have 400 to 500 rounds on it and I can honestly say it never looses zero the only time I have to adj. it is when I change bullets/ loads other than that it has been a great scope for me .

BIGBUCK

Last edited:
After you're certain the scope itself is at fault, and not the scope base, rings, or any loose screws, send it back to Leupold for service. They will find and fix the problem.

Leupolds have a good reputation for holding together under some pretty fierce recoil - muzzle brakes and all.

I had a similar problem with an older Vari XII 3-9 Leupold that I bought second hand. It would not hold zero so I sent it back to Leupold.

I would have paid to have had it fixed but they were not interested.They returned it to me just like your scope and it was not fixed.

They said it was a design feature of the scope for it to not hold zero if the rings were fitted onto the scope tube where a small dimple was located on the bottom of the scope. This is the pivot point of the reticle tube or sum such thing.

Check your scope for this small dimple, if it has one then try to set your rings up so that they are away from this point and make sure that the rings are not putting any tension onto the main scope tube.

I don't buy Leupold scopes any more due to the poor response I got over this issue. I hope you have better luck.

Thanks for the replys. I am finding I am not the only one with these issues. And yes the action bases and rings were torqued to specs. Thanks again.

I am having problems with a 3-9x33 ultralite. Won't hold zero and the windage/elevation dials are friction dials. Sometimes it adjusts true and sometimes it is off triple what you adjusted. I tried it on 3 different rifles and the same results. I thought maybe it would hold on a 22lr but no luck. I just dropped it off at the warrenty depot for Canada. I hope they don't give me the same answer they gave you guys...

I had an issue with my VXII a while back with the power ring it was frozen at 9X and I couldn't get it adjusted back down,.. not even with a pair of channel locks.

I had this mounted on my .338WM and it was a new, out of the box scope that I had mounted and took to the range to shoot. I went through 50 home rolled at the range and when I went to turn the power ring down before casing the rifle it wouldn't budget. I wrote an email to Leupold and when I received their reply to send it in I did so. While they had the scope I had asked them to install a M-1 turret which they did and returned the scope to me via UPS.

I just had the opportunity yesterday to take the rifle with the re-worked scope back out for it's re-zeroing,... it performed flawlessly.

Leupold makes a GREAT set of optics, priced competitively, with a LIFETIME warranty made right here in the good ol' USA.

If you have a legitimate problem with a piece of their equipment they WILL fix or replace it.

I had the same problem (but not as severe) with a VX III LR Target scope. I have used Leupold for nearly 30 years because of their quality, pricing and the garantee. I have always been pleased with their customer service and willingness to make it right. Having said that, this patricular scope just could not hold a zero. I sent it back multiple times. Each time the scope was returned, the issue had been fixed. The problem was that it didn't stay fixed. I will say that the scope was slaved to a large magnum with a muzzlebrake. While they always honored their guarantee, I got tired of paying shipping and the "down time" of the rifle. Sometimes you just get one that didn't go together as it should. It happens with rifles as well.

I have an older vari-x III that has been on a #1 in 7mm rem mag. It won't hold a zero and has something rattling inside of it. It is being sent in this week. This will be my first dealing with leupold cs.

With a few exceptions here and there, Leupold has great customer service and stands by there products. I would call them immediatley, and get a return authorization and ship it off. It may take a couple of 4 weeks, but they should do right by you.

BTW, if it was me I would sell the fixed scope on fleabay and pick up something designed to withstand the "big kickers".

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts