Leupold Reticle Suggestions

WVGuns

After spending an evening at the range i have discovered that my 6-18 vx-2 target dot is almost impossible to see against a dark background. Just to verify my eyes i had a friend look through and he could see less than me i think. I wanna use this for some long range grounghog shoots around 400-600 yards as well as some target shoots at 100.what do you guys like as far as reticles in the Leupolds. Any advice would be appreciated.

I started with a Unertl 4x with a dot, had a Leupold dot at one time. I can't recall how big they were. Served me well on big game, can't say how well it would work on groundhogs.

I agree, the target dot is hard to pick out against a dark background or low light conditions.
However, I read some where that the human eye can better focus on a dot than it can on cross hairs. I have a variety of reticles in my scopes, and have found that under ideal conditions, I pick up the dot better than crosshairs when I am shooting both styles of recticle back to back.

Illuminated target dot would be ideal.

I haven'y looked at one, but the Firedot is Leupolds new offering.
The Firedot was too large for my liking. Blocks too much of what you are aiming at. I like Leupold VX3's with dots. I also have one with a B&C and like it OK. Illuminated B&C might be good for low light.

Ive found duplex and even leupolds fine duplex is sufficient during any legal shooting hours around here. Ive had a couple lit reticle scopes and found i rarely turned them on. there great on guns your going to use past dark but not nessisary on a game gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.