Leupold Quick Release

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by DONTSTROKEME, Oct 15, 2006.

1. DONTSTROKEME

DONTSTROKEME Well-Known Member

I have an A-bolt in 338 Win Mag. I also have a Pre-64 model 70. I have Leupold's 1-Piece QR base on the model 70. I would like to have a 1-piece on the A-bolt also. But I can only find the 2-piece. Does any one know where I can find the 1-piece for the long action A-bolt? If not Is there anything lost by using the 2-piece?

Thanks
    Joe Oakes

2. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

Leupold doesen't have a one piece base listed for the
    A-bolt series rifles.

Any particular reason your dead set on this style base?

3. DONTSTROKEME

DONTSTROKEME Well-Known Member

I would think that the 1 piece is stronger and better than the 2 piece, and I already have the 1 piece on my other gun....sort of to match.

Joe Oakes

4. kraky

kraky Well-Known Member

I've had a number of guns with the 2 piece. I'm no engineer but with 2 screws surrounding the hole where the post goes in I can't imaging why a 1 piece would be stonger than a 2 piece. I've never had trouble with the qr mounts but suspect it will be in the moveing parts......not the base.....when I do have trouble.

5. tulku

tulku Well-Known Member

I don't know about the A Bolt , but on over a dozen Rem. Model 700s , I compared Leupold One Piece versus Two Piece Bases with Leupold Rings . I used the Brownells Scope Pointers which look like big pointy Pencils . One fits in each Ring and you can tell how the Mounts Line Up . NONE of the 2 Piece Bases aligned . I'm talking many , many , mils out . Sure , if you shim the bases or have the equipment to machine them , you can align them . Or you can use the Burris Rings with plastic inserts . All of the Leupold One Piece Bases aligned both horizontally and vertically , and with my eyes I use a good grade magnifying glass . So all my Model 700s wear a one piece base : I don't like torquing expensive scopes . It's hard to change , but I might try the Burris rings inthe future.