Leupold Quick Release

DONTSTROKEME

I have an A-bolt in 338 Win Mag. I also have a Pre-64 model 70. I have Leupold's 1-Piece QR base on the model 70. I would like to have a 1-piece on the A-bolt also. But I can only find the 2-piece. Does any one know where I can find the 1-piece for the long action A-bolt? If not Is there anything lost by using the 2-piece?

Thanks
Joe Oakes

Leupold doesen't have a one piece base listed for the
A-bolt series rifles.

Any particular reason your dead set on this style base?

I've had a number of guns with the 2 piece. I'm no engineer but with 2 screws surrounding the hole where the post goes in I can't imaging why a 1 piece would be stonger than a 2 piece. I've never had trouble with the qr mounts but suspect it will be in the moveing parts......not the base.....when I do have trouble.

I don't know about the A Bolt , but on over a dozen Rem. Model 700s , I compared Leupold One Piece versus Two Piece Bases with Leupold Rings . I used the Brownells Scope Pointers which look like big pointy Pencils . One fits in each Ring and you can tell how the Mounts Line Up . NONE of the 2 Piece Bases aligned . I'm talking many , many , mils out . Sure , if you shim the bases or have the equipment to machine them , you can align them . Or you can use the Burris Rings with plastic inserts . All of the Leupold One Piece Bases aligned both horizontally and vertically , and with my eyes I use a good grade magnifying glass . So all my Model 700s wear a one piece base : I don't like torquing expensive scopes . It's hard to change , but I might try the Burris rings inthe future.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.