Leupold or Night Force??

Dustoff06

Just joined and need some advice or opinions.

I just picked up a Kimber Classic 30.06. I was set on a Leupold VR-L scope, either the 4.5 X 14 or 6.5 X 20. A friend is pushing me towards a Night Force (probably 5.5 X 22).

Any strong opinions between these two? I have several Leupold scopes and they have served me well. Is the Night Force significantly better? :confused:

No comparison, go with the Nightforce. I have a Leupold LR on my Sendero, my Dad has the NF on his. IMO, there is really no comparison if you can afford the NF.

Dust,
You pay more for nightforce.
Usually the saying, "You get what you pay for is true." I do not own a NF scope. Would like to in the future.
I would also like to have a Schmidt & Bender as well.
I do have two Leupold Mark 4's (6.5-20 and 8.5-25) and they have both held their zero and the click values have been accurate and repeatable.
I really like my Leupy's, but I know NF makes a great product.
Decide what you want and can afford in the big picture. I think both scopes will do fine for your application, but ultimately you will be the one to make that decision.

make sure you handle them first. I have quite a few leupolds, and only one nightforce. I have the 5.5-22 NXS, and love it, but...it is heavy.

if you are looking for a light carry gun, i would personally stay with the leupold. If you want more of long range setup then get the nightforce. I love both, but the nightforce are solid.

that being said, I carried my NXS up to 12,000' hunting elk in CO, so take it for what it's worth.

have fun, they are both great scopes.

I agree about the weight factor. Leupold Mark 4's and LRT's are really excellent when compared to some of the 40oz+ boat anchors out there. Add a set of 6 screw Badger rings to one of these heavyweights and wow, you will need a Sherpa.

I sold my Nightforce 8-32 and IOR 2-12 because they were just too heavy for my hunting style. If 3lbs+ for your optic system is not a concern the Night Force NXS is a beautiful product.

A rule of thumb I like to go by is: the scope should cost about as much as the rifle does. I dont' have any experience with NF scopes, but from what I've read they are excellent and many people feel the optics are superior to Leupold. It all depends on what you will be using it for, and how much you want to, or feel you can justify spending on it. Choices...

A rule of thumb I like to go by is: the scope should cost about as much as the rifle does. I dont' have any experience with NF scopes, but from what I've read they are excellent and many people feel the optics are superior to Leupold. It all depends on what you will be using it for, and how much you want to, or feel you can justify spending on it. Choices...

Leupys are a great scope, no doubt about that, but a NXS is a real step up in my opinion. That being said I have only experience with VX 3s no Mark 4s ??

Cheers
DUH

I like the leupold scopes. I always have. I own only leupold scopes and they have always done good for me. I shoot with some people that have swaro's and zeiss's, and other expensive scopes and I shoot just a good, and alot of the time better, with my leupolds than they do with their scopes that cost double what mine cost. I choose leupold, but maybe someday I will give the nightforce a try, and who knows, I may just change my mind about things. Just my opinion though.

Dust,
+1 as xphunter said.
"Decide what you want and can afford in the big picture. I think both scopes will do fine for your application, but ultimately you will be the one to make that decision."
Make a list of pros and cons
check the bank balance and the pantry!
No need to give up YLN or your first born!
If you save up and go with the NXS you will never look back.
Check out the " Search " lots of opinions!
Here is one from 05

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/leupy-vs-nightforce-13801/?highlight=nightforce

I really like the R2 reticule of the NXS, but there are lots of options to fit the pocket book. This should be a fun hobbie! Not a dollar challange. If you can't sleep at night because you spent 1500 on a scope you should look for other options.

CAM

Both awsome scopes, have many of both. Leupy is much lighter but clicks are more positive on NF. NF has the (cool factor) also and holds its value well. Both track great and glass is very close. If you get a MK4 you will probally never miss a NF but if you get a NF you will probally never want a MK4.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.