Leupold One Piece Base Screw Question

ricknolan

I went to install a one piece Leupold base on a Steven's 200 action and both front screws striped out in the first .05" (the OAL of the screw is only .315"). I had my FatWrench set at 30 lbs and I never go close to that. Looks to me like the screws are to short to do the job. The rear screw works fine. So my question is...

... are these screws to short or have I missed something else on this install?

Thanks

Rick

Can't say for sure about your Stevens action but a lot of them have different length screws for the front and for the rear of the action. It's easy to check the depth of the threads in the action. Just about all micrometers have a depth rod on them and you can check the depth of the threads in the action. Then insert the screws into the base, hold them fully into the hole and measure how much sticks out. This should tell you how close the screws are to using all of the threads in the action or if they are too short or if you've got the wrong screws in the wrong holes.:rolleyes:

Just don't get the screws too long for the depth of the action holes or you will either bind the bolt or not be able to tighten the base down fully.

Also visually check the threads in the action to make sure they are not damaged to the point of no return. You could always have a smith drill and tap them for a larger size if needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts