Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x50 LR/t VS Viper PST

OneShot0351

I have a brand new Leupold mk4 4.5-14x50 LR/T Mil-Dot new in box never mounted i am considering selling for a viper PST 4-16x50 FFP
i like the leupold but does not have the featured that the vortex has like zero stop and FFP, i will be using this scope for deer hunting and target practice on a .243 win custom built for the 115gr d-tac, should i keep this scope or go with the Vortex, i could sell the one i have and get a vortex and great rings for less, good or bad idea? never shot with a vortex is the clarity and light gathering as good as the leupold? are the clicks as trackable? what would i be better off with?
my big concern is the ffp on the vortex for hunting i could get my drop on the reticule and it be the same thru the power adjustment in the case of having to make a quick shot on an animal. looking for Vortex user opinion. would i be losing quality by doing this?

If I put my Mark4 and my Vortex side by side, my old eyes discern no difference in light gathering ability or clarity across the entire magnification range and that applies to the 4.5 x 14 and the 6.5 x 24. Can't speak for the FFP as mine are alll SFP.

There has been some discussion about the appearance of a crescent shadow in the eyepiece, when the elevation is cranked all the way down, it's actually you looking at the scope tube inside. I haven't had that issue...yet.

Keep in mind that the '0' stop on the Vortex isn't a positive 'feel' stop but rather a soft, go past '0' stop, achieved by adding brass half moon washers under the erector turret. You'll go past '0' a bit, depending on how many washers you can fit in the space. Mine typically crank less than 1/4 revolution past '0', but I add the final washer opposite to what the instructions state, to remove as much space as possible. If you adhere to the instructions, you wind up with a half turn or better past '0'.

The turrets (IMO) are more positive than the Mark4 and easier to grasp as well. I would prefer capped tall turrets on both and neither have that. My Leupy benchrest scopes all have tall capped turrets, something I like but thats a personal thing.

Would I trade/sell my Mark4, for a Vortex 4-16FFP? Maybe. It's a good deal if you realize the asking price of the Vortex from the Leupy. I like them all so not my thing.

Optically, the Leupold Mk4 is a better scope. By comparison, Vortex Vipers have higher glare and lower contrast. For deer hunting, where contrast is important, you should use the Mk4. For target shooting, contrast doesn't matter much.

FFP and zero stop are features that you can do without. I look at it this way. Your caliber runs out of energy for deer size game at about 500-600 yds. If you zero at 200 yds, your point blank range goes out to at least 250 yds. That's likely to be the max range for a quick shot. You can make that shot in an instant at almost any magnification.

If your target is further away, and you have enough time to range it, then you probably also have enough time to adjust the power ring to the calibrated value for your SFP mildot reticle.

Your max elevation adjustment at 600 yds probably doesn't exceed 12 MOA, so you're likely to always be within one rotation of your zero setting. What's the need for a zero stop?

Bruce...

My main objective is deer in a Michigan woods setting, farthest shot might be 250 yards but most, much, much closer and I see your point in a 200 yard zero, which is optimum for my 308 anyway.

I'm not a zero stop person but the PST comes with the shims so might as well use 'em.....

I just don't see any difference between the Mark4 I own and the Viper PST in the woods other than the trick Alumina covers versus the chintzy scope bra that comes with the Viper....

I've never had a FFP scope so maybe I don't know what I'm missing or maybe I'm missing nothing.

If I put my Mark4 and my Vortex side by side, my old eyes discern no difference in light gathering ability or clarity across the entire magnification range and that applies to the 4.5 x 14 and the 6.5 x 24. Can't speak for the FFP as mine are alll SFP.

There has been some discussion about the appearance of a crescent shadow in the eyepiece, when the elevation is cranked all the way down, it's actually you looking at the scope tube inside. I haven't had that issue...yet.

Keep in mind that the '0' stop on the Vortex isn't a positive 'feel' stop but rather a soft, go past '0' stop, achieved by adding brass half moon washers under the erector turret. You'll go past '0' a bit, depending on how many washers you can fit in the space. Mine typically crank less than 1/4 revolution past '0', but I add the final washer opposite to what the instructions state, to remove as much space as possible. If you adhere to the instructions, you wind up with a half turn or better past '0'.

The turrets (IMO) are more positive than the Mark4 and easier to grasp as well. I would prefer capped tall turrets on both and neither have that. My Leupy benchrest scopes all have tall capped turrets, something I like but thats a personal thing.

Would I trade/sell my Mark4, for a Vortex 4-16FFP? Maybe. It's a good deal if you realize the asking price of the Vortex from the Leupy. I like them all so not my thing.

another way to do it is sight in, then dial up 3 moa, take off of the turret and add all the shims, when you put the turret back on make sure you line it up with the 3 not the 0.

that always gets me within 1 moa of the actual zero

. 243 could easily kill deer at a 1000 yards. There's a video on YouTube of the greybull precision team taking a cow elk at 900 with a 243. It dropped like it got hit by a bus.

I have not seen that video yet, the .243 win 115gr D-Tac @ 2950fps+ is ppushing more ft/lbs energy @ 1000 than 168 gr. .308 win. @ 2,750 (both speeds being you avg. speed w/ 24" barrel) might sacrifice a little wind drift have not compared wind drifts, better barrel life, less recoil. and then zip your 50 and 60 grainers for varmint, excellent round!

dont see how i missed these , Greybull Precision has multiple shots on cow and bull elk and antelope on YouTube at 650yd+ w 243 win 105gr VLD

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.