Leupold Mk 4 ?

Having a locking turret would NOT defeat the purpose,it would keep the turrets from being accidently turned while packing the rifle through the hills,something I have had a problem with.There are turrets with locks that engage when you push the turret down,when you pull it up the turret is free to turn,the military Mk 4s have them.

The MK4 do not lock. They are very positive and are not really that easy to rote by accident. Not to say it is a bad idea but I really would not what it unless it was just on the wind-age. If you had to left up the turret like the S&B Short Dot Locking turrets that would not be bad. Again for the most part good quality scopes will not rotate all that easy and if they do then maybe they should have knob covers. I have seen the scopes that have a lock like nut get stuck and they have a h@!l of a time getting it undone!

Mike @ CSGW

Nonya

I like the leupold tactical with the target turrents Because it also has
turrent caps.

I have had a problem with exposed turrents being moved and the caps/covers
solve this problem.

With out turrent caps you have to check them to make sure they are on zero
while setting up for the shot.

Once your through with the shot you reset to zero and place the caps back on.

Works for me
J E CUSTOM

Who of you walk around with your scope off zero?
Before taking any shot in the field, you have to set elevation w/resp to zero. So you leave your scope on it's zero, right?
The absolute last thing needed in the field is caps. You gonna fiddle frick around unscrewing caps over your turrets, and mind loosing them, before a shot?

I've been using NXS and MK4 scopes in the field since they were available, and have never managed to 'bump' a turret off zero.
I don't think you could without damaging these scopes, and that ain't likely.

That *** Millet..... Nothing more than hollywood...
There, I've said it.
Let your conscience be your guide, and good luck.

Who of you walk around with your scope off zero?
Before taking any shot in the field, you have to set elevation w/resp to zero. So you leave your scope on it's zero, right?
The absolute last thing needed in the field is caps. You gonna fiddle frick around unscrewing caps over your turrets, and mind loosing them, before a shot?

I've been using NXS and MK4 scopes in the field since they were available, and have never managed to 'bump' a turret off zero.
I don't think you could without damaging these scopes, and that ain't likely.

That *** Millet..... Nothing more than hollywood...
There, I've said it.
Let your conscience be your guide, and good luck.

Well I should'nt respond but I will.

First I said '' It works For me"

That didn't mean that you should sell all of your scopes and change them to
ones with turrent covers.

It doesent matter if you have covers or not before you make a shot you should
check to make sure if your turrents are still on zero.

I have read some examples of forgeting to rezero after a shot on this website
by some very well known long rang shooters so it does happen to those of us
that are not perfect.

I for one have/make time to fiddle #&%$ with turrents, covers or anything else
it takes to make a clean one shot kill.

I realize that if you remove your rifle from your $50,000 SUV and walk 20 feet
to your shooting position chances are good that you wont bump the turrents
of zero.

But for those that may hike or pack horse 10 or 15 miles there is a good chance
it will happen .

Plus the turret caps offer a little more protection and I have never lost one and
besides it makes me feel better.

PS: My Target rifles don't have or need turret covers but my hunting rifles do.

J E CUSTOM

Well said JE.After hiking 10 miles through shale and DEEP snow this spring on the anual BB hunt I laid down to watch a bear to see if it had cubs and decided to glance over at my turrets,they were both WAY off 0 and it would have resulted in a miss on a chip shot (330 yards) kill if I hadnt noticed and and had taken the shot.I carry my rifles shouldered over many miles some days and i need a scope with turrets theat will lock or i will go without them,many manufacturers offer them and I want one,if you want to talk about hollywood you should think again,my hunts are anything but.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.