Leupold Mk 4 Spotter or Vortex Razor HD 20-60

yorke-1

I currently have a Leupold Mk 4 spotter with the Mil Dot reticle in it and I'm looking to step up the glass quality. The problem is that I'd still like to have the reticle in there to make calling corrections easier. Optically the Mk 4 is good and goes well with the Mk 4 rifle scope one of my rifles, I'd just like to move up to the HD/ED glass that some of the new spotters have. Since we're taking pictures and video through the scope while we're out there the better glass quality makes sense.

The Vortex Razor HD 20-60 caught my eye because it has both the HD glass and an available 30x eye piece with a reticle in either MIL or MOA.

The goal was to keep the cost under $2K. Are there any other options I should check out?

I recall that the Mk 4 has the same glass as the HD Gold Ring scope (except for the reticle).

If so, the Mk 4 already has very low chromatic aberration - comparable to any ED scope under $1,600. Plus, the Mk 4 is compact, has a metal body and an unusually long eye relief. I use an HD Mk 4 for digiscoping and get some amazing images.

Frankly, I don't think the Vortex Razor is a step up over the HD Mk 4. I recommend that you do a side-by-side comparison before buying the Razor. To make a really significant step up, I think you will need to go to alpha glass, which is over $2,000.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.