Leupold Mark 4????

IceSniper

I'm buying a new scope soon and have been thinking seriously about the Leupold Mark 4 PR 4.5-14x40mm. Anyone had any bad experiences with these? Suggestion of other brands to look at are welcome, but the Mk4 PR is pretty much as far as my budget will go, so no NXS 5.5-22x suggestions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Thanks.

Hello, I am fairly new to the site, and haven't posted much, but I did a lot of recent research into scopes and thought I might be able to help.

Just my humble opinion:

I think your looking at a good scope. The LR/T 50mm with M1 turrets might better suit you, if you can afford to bump up the price a little bit. I have an LR/T and know several others with them. I have no complaints and have never heard a complaint from my friends. None of us have had to send one back for warranty service, but I have had good luck with Leupy warranty service on some binos.

I have read on this board that some members have had some problems with Leupolds that needed warranty service. The newest Mark 4 scopes with the "Index matched lense system" seem to have better resolution and color correction compared to the older "multicoat 4" lense coatings. My scope is bright, crystal clear and shows no noticeable vignetting. Some people have said the VariX 3s are the identical scopes at a lower price. I don't know if that's true, but could be an option. My Mark 4 is extremely sturdy and the adjustments with the M1 turrets are positive and DEAD reliable.

Another option is the Meopta Meostar in the same magnification range with target turrets. It is in the same price range, at least here in the US. I don't own one ... yet, but I have drooled over them several times and the optical performance (distortion free, excellent resolution, great color correction) is WAY over the price point, IMO.

Don't just take online opinions, however. Head down to a GOOD outdoor supply store and compare some models on several different days (overcast, sunny, etc.) and compare scopes side by side with a resolution chart the recommended distance away. That chart will really tell the resolution tale. I did that with 10 power binoculars and went with the Meopta Meostar 10X42 binoculars because of better, yes better, resolution capability than comparable Swaros and Leicas. They were a few hundred dollars less expensive, to boot!

Good shooting!

Thanks for your reply bitterroot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

I'd like to get the LRT 50mm, but unfortunately it's out of my price range. And the shops around here don't really stock anything like what i'm after (every once in a while you'll see A nightforce but honestly i can't say i've ever seen Mark 4's or any "tactical" scopes in their display cases), pretty much everything is just your run of the mill 3-9x hunting scopes, they could special order them but that isn't much help and I'd be looking at paying $200-400 more than what i would if i just ordered it straight from the US myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .

One example of what it's like to buy locally here is when i brought my LRF, at the time the cheapest i could find one in the country was $750AU, i ordered one from one of the members here, Jon at theopticzone.com and it cost me around $350US.

But thanks for your suggestion on the Meopta Meostar, i'll have a look and see what i can find now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

*EDIT*
Ok, been looking at the Meostar and i must admit they're sounding good, one thing i cant find is how much adjustment they have? Can anyone help out here? And if anyone has been lucky enough to use a 4-16 meostar and 4-14 PR side by side, which do you consider the better scope is as far as brightness, durability, and tracking?

I have that same scope on my semi heavy 7mm Allen Magnum and used it on a hunt in Idaho last fall for whitetails. It worked extremely well at long range. Took my buck at 850 yards shooting through light fog.

Only thing is they are not quite as bright as the NF scopes in low light and image quality is a bit less depending on your eye but they are still a very quality scope. For a lightweight long range optical system they are hard to beat, MUCH lighter then the NF NXS. I had to use that scope on my rifle to make the rifle legal hunting weight in Idaho and it worked very well.

Kirby Allen(50)

A bud of mine has a MK4 PR 4.5x14x40 with fine duplex. Its been a great scope- no problems what so ever.

I have two Mk4 4.5-14x50 LR/T M1, MilDot, Illum.

I only have very good to excellent comments on their performance as an outstanding optical instrument.

Not cheap, of course, but quality has a price. Hard lesson learned from experience. Not again a bad, budget scope.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif . Looks like i'll be ordering a Mk 4 in the next two weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.