Leupold LR not cutting it

startrek1761d

Just got back from a week of hunting, I have Leupold LR 6.5x20x50 scopes on both rifles I carried, about a half hour before dark on 6.5X I notice my scopes are not as bright as my cheap Minox 10X binoculars, I want to move up to Nightforce 5.5x25x50 or 56 scopes, my brother has 2 NF Benchrest scopes and neither are as bright as the Leupolds I already have on the same power, are the NXS scopes brighter than the benchrest scopes on the same power? No need to spend the extra money on NXS if they are no brighter, I might add I shoot out to 600 yards so I need the target knobs and think zero stop would be the way to go.

You really can't compare a twin barreled bino to a single tube rifle scope for a brightness comparison.
In low light my Zeiss binos are much easier to define detail with, and are brighter, than my Swarovski rifle scope.
It's just amazing how well you can see in near darkness with a quality pair of binos.

I own several leupolds and on low mag can see through them in low light better than with my naked eye. Maybe I'm just a freak of nature idk. If you are already running a 50mm obj the only step about that is maybe 56mm, and stepping up to a 30mm main tube or better. You are talking serious money for anything about 30mm there are a couple companies running 34mm S/B, usa optics and I think trijicon has one now. My honest suggestion is to just lower you're power ring a bit that will allow more light through your optics to your eye. I don't know the science behind it but there are dozens of articles on it on line.

I sold all 9 of my Leupold scopes in one day because for me, they were poor quality scopes for light gathering/transmitting and I was done dealing with it like I had for many years. All were VX-IIIs, 4.5-14s. Warranty is great. So is CS. Glass is lacking for my vision.

All of my new scopes are Zeiss, Leica, and NF and I have NO regrets.

I can see well past legal shooting hours with any of my Leupold scopes. My old surplus binoculars are brighter no doubt but I can see plenty good enough to shoot.

Bob

My Leupold VX-6 3-18X50 low light capability seems great. Before mounting on my new rifle, went out at 1\2 hr. after sunset, the time when just the sky has a soft fading blue to black color. As I looked about 50 yds away toward a large oak tree to the West, there was nothing but silhouetted darkness from the canopy with no details. I then grabbed the scope, cranked up the VX-6 to 18 power and was able to discern branches and leaves...not bright or real clear, but Much More Details than possible with my regular naked vision.

If that had been a legal deer during this low twilight, I wouldn't have hesitated to take the shot! gun)

My experience is when I can see that much without the scope, I can't see much more with the scope and then I can't see if anything is in the way, limbs, branches, etc. Basically I can only get a few extra minutes out of using the scope over naked eye. But I see no difference in some scopes. I would have to say that leupold is better for low light than most. Although I have not tried out my Swarovski in low light yet. Not bashing on you just giving an opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.