Leupold Help

greener280

I am going to order a scope from the Leupold Custom Shop this week, but need to decide between two of them. The fist is a VX3 4.5-14X50 LR and the other is a VX3 4.5-14X40 LR, both would have fine duplex and target turrets. My first question is what are peoples opinions on shooting 1000yds effectively with 14 power. The second is whether I should go with a 50mm or 40mm objective. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Are you going to be shooting paper or game? Because if your going to shoot game 14 power is plenty. I use a vx3 4.5-14X40 and works will for me. With a 50mm objective your going to get more light. Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps. :)

14 power is a great fit for a hunting rig where weight, low light performance, & size are important. We use the 14X out to 1000+ for hunting & out to a mile on rocks and gongs.

If you are using a higher comb stock, chances are you will need to mount the scope at a height where 40mm or 50mm wouldn't matter. With a sporter stock, the 40mm close to the barrel usually feels more natural.

The advantages of 50mm aren't huge, but nice to have when lights fading.

If the rifle is primarily for range use, some more power is nice on way-off targets if mirage isn't too bad.

The setup will be used for hunting big game. I have a McMillan Rem Sporter stock that has a straight comb, so a 40mm objective would be nice to have. The scope will have a fine duplex in it as well so that is why I am weighing towards the 50mm objective for light. So would there be a large advantage in going with the 50mm objective.

I have both and a few more leupolds
I would go with the 50 hands down
I would also add either the boone and crocket or varmit hunters reticle
does not help at ranges beyond 600 yards but if you need to make a quick shot under 600 they cant be beat.

I have the older VIII 4.5 - 14 x 40 LR. I have the fine duplex and a couple of times I wished I had gone for the Varmint hunters reticle as retiredcpo suggested.
I usually dialup but a couple of times I have followed animals through the scope that would stop occasionally, but not long enough to adjust the dials.
The 50 mm objective will give you a bit longer at dusk but one test I saw the difference was only a few minutes. You are probably going to have to add some sort of cheekpiece if you go with the 50mm. I have glued some closed-cell foam on the cheekpiece of the standard rem sporter stock with my 40mm.
I haven't shot to 1000 yds but have used it on rocks etc out to 860 yds and haven't felt disadvantaged by 14 power. Depends on whether your targets are deer or varmints.

Stu.

My carry-rifle (280Rem) wears a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 with M1 turrets and TMR reticle. It is awesome for shooting up close AND waaaaaaaay over there.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.