Leupold CDS vs. Boone & Crockett?

High Country

I have a nice .338 WM I am adding a new scope to. Done my research and determined that a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm is what I am looking for.

Leupold has the free CDS dials if I pull the trigger before 12/31/10. However, I am going back and forth between CDS or just getting the Boone & Crockett reticle and calling it good. My .338 is a hunting rifle with LR for me defined as 300+ with a max range of 600. Or course I'll need lots of practice with the new scope, but wanted to let you guys know the intended use.

With the CDS dials you send them your load data and they make you a custom dial. I often shoot at low elevations and hunt at high elevations. What is the impact of elevations on my groups and how can I adjust if the dial is set for a specified elevation?

Any and all info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

You will see some difference in the POI with change of altitude, more so at longer range. You can get a rough idea by entering your load data in this free ballistics calculator for each elevation and compare the differences.

External Ballistics Calculator

If you plan on keeping the scope on that rifle and only that rifle, the CDS seems like a good idea. Personally, I would go with the B&C for two reasons. 1) you can determine what each point on the reticle represents for changing elevations. 2) If you ever choose to put the scope on a different rifle, or use a different load, you won't be locked in to the custom made dial.

Actually, Leupold is offering two free dials before 12/31. With the CDS system, you get one free dial anyway, so don't sweat it. Even without the custom dial, I would go with the CDS turrets. I had the ballistic reticle for years, and you can match them up pretty well, but I've had too many shots where I was estimating 40+ yards of drop. If you have a range finder, know the ballistics or your cartridge, then why not dial in the correction so you can focus on making the shot, IMHO.

The turret that comes with the scope is 1/4 MOA, so you could easily work up drop charts for both elevations and just stick with the MOA turrets, and impress your friends, or have the custom turrets engraved. I have been using the MOA turret for a few months, and just ordered a custom one for Elk. Once it arrives, I'll head out and see how well it agrees.

Of course, you could get the B&C reticle and then have the turrets added later for $100, or so.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts