Leupold 6.5-20x40 LR

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by swebb38, Dec 21, 2006.

1. swebb38

swebb38 Well-Known Member

Im using the vari-x 3 and I thought it was a great scope, but nobody mentions them much here. Is the NF that much better or are the people using Leupold not saying much? I thought my magnification and clarity were great in my last hunt. Has anyone owned the leupold and switched to the Nightforce? If you have let me know what the differeces are. Im considering one and wanted to check it out.
    Thanks
    Stacy

2. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

Stacy.
    I have 2 Mark IV's (6.5-20 & 8.5-25 LR/T) - I love them.
    I primarily dial and the have been very repeatable.
    From the people I know and trust, NF is a step up in quality and price. The Leupy's work great for me, but I admit, I'm curious how a NF would work with one of my specialty handguns, since I have never even used one.

3. azsugarbear

azsugarbear Well-Known Member

I use the Leupold VX-III and they work just fine for me. I believe the NF is superior, but we all have our pain threshold, monetarily speaking. For where I am in this sport (relatively new), I would rather spend the additional $400-$500 saved on a Leupy over a NF on gunsmithing or a custom action. Eventually, I will probably upgrade.

4. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, if I'm building a new rifle, it's getting a Leupold scope. My latest hunting rifle wears the exact scope you mention in the title of this thread. Money was not an issue with this rifle and I would have put a NF on it if I truly could see a $600 improvement but I could not. And the comparible NF weighs over 1 pound more and I definetly didn't want that.

BTW, there are many guys here using Leupolds. Run a search on it and you will probably even find some pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif