Leupold 4.5-14 CDS for LR?

DocGlenn

I'm trying to find a better scope for for my 300wsm mountain rifle. I want to keep the total weight under 7.5 lbs. The catalog says this scope weighs in at 13oz which is about as light as I have seen for decent scope with turrets. My max distance would be 600yds. I'm a little concerned about not having a side focus, but that may not be a issue for 600 yds or less. Would this scope make a for a good, lightweight, mid-range scope? If anyone has any better suggestions, I'm open to other options. Thanks!

You could buy a VX-3 4.5-14 LR with side focus then just send it to Leupold and have the CDS installed. Two of my friends have done just that and are happy with the results. I think the side focus is so nice I wouldn't want a scope with out it.

I am interested in the reply's here cause im in the market for a scope for my 300. wsm which is my light weight carry around rifle and would be shooting out to 600 yards as well. If the Accubonds shoot nice, i will be using 180 Grain Nosler Accubonds for moose, bear, caribou out to 600 yards and want a scope that will keep my gun under 8 LBS max

I just bought a 4.5-14X40 with the CDS for my light weight 260 Rogue being built. I think it is the prefect scope for medium range shooting say out to 750yds. max.
I don't think par. adjustment is much of an issue at those ranges when your vitals are about 2moa.

Keep in mind I am building a rifle I am going to be shooting primarily as we drive wide open crp/prairie fields. I wanted the versatility of a carry rifle with the ability to make a 700yd shot. If your plans are similar to mine I think you will be fine. If you plan on going out farther, get the LR with the side focus. If have 15lb. rifles built especially for long range. I am trying to fill a gap I have discovered in my hunting style.

Brent

You could buy a VX-3 4.5-14 LR with side focus then just send it to Leupold and have the CDS installed. Two of my friends have done just that and are happy with the results. I think the side focus is so nice I wouldn't want a scope with out it.

I thought about that, but then you start to get back to a bigger, heavier scope. Since I've already got a heavy rifle with a NF scope, i'm trying to stay light and moblie with this setup. Since I've never owned a Leupold, thought this would be the perfect place to ask.

Thanks for all the fedback and suggestions!

Glenn

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts