Leuplod :Tactile power indicator

gspman

I have a Leupold VX3 4.5x14x40: 1 of the features of this scope is Tactile power indicator.

How does one use this to estimate range ?

Is there a formula or calculation that must be made

If you give me some more info, maybe we can figure it out. I am not too bad with power conversions and ranging with reticles.

What power is the scope? Where are the TPI's in relation to the zoom knob?

What kind of reticle do you have? What is the scope (VX3, VariX II, VX-7 ect.)

That should get us started.

My Vari-X III has this feature, and it works only with the dual-x reticle. IIRC, what you do is bracket a 9" object between the horizontal reticle and the top of the thick part of the bottom post (or an 18" object between the thick posts on the vertical reticle) by changing the power until it is bracketed. Then, you can read the distance in hundreds of yards off of the power ring. The distance markers are on the opposite side of the power ring from the power markings.

I really like this feature, as I can also use the top of the thicker bottom post as a quick holdover on my 300 WM for a 300 yd shot with the 9" distance at the proper power. Faster than turning turrets...

Hope this helps,
Brian

I have the VX3 4.5x14x40 cds with duplex reticles and a tactile power ring, the opposite side of the power ring.

outofayr
So the 9in or 18in object is kinfa like the chest of a whitetail in size?
OK I willhave to play with this some.

So if a target is bigger or smaller that say 18 inches it will not technically work then..

Yes, that's basically the idea. I'll double check to be sure on the 9" subtension when I get home and I can RTFM (at work right now).

With a little math, can be made to work for other subtensions as well, but gets more complicated that using the rangefinder in a hurry! :)

Later,
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.