Let's talk Barrels

lckytylr

Building a .223 . . . shooting for an accurate coyote slayer. I'm really interested in accuracy more so than a lot of the other paths that an AR can take. I'd like to kill coyotes out to 300 and prairie dogs out to 200. Are both of those possible?

Start rolling your eyes . . . I'm trying to do this on a budget! Aren't we all!?!?

So, with that said, I'm willing to pay for quality, but I'm NOT willing to break the bank just so I can tell guys at the range that I paid $xxxx for my barrel. I don't really know how much is reasonable to spend for a barrel . . . at what point do you hit "diminishing returns"? Is a $250 barrel really good, but a $300 barrel is actually worth the extra $50 . . . while a $400 barrel is NOT worth the jump in price . . .

Any help would be appreciated, I'd REALLY like specific recommendations like brand, model, length and contour . . .

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

There are a few excellent cheap barrels.

There are a lot of sorry cheap barrels.

There are a few sorry ultra match barrels.

There are a lot of excellent ultra match barrels.

How good is your luck?????

Mine sucked! I now own a Shilen and no it was not cheap but it shoots bug holes and thats what I wanted in the first place.

An inaccurate rifle just isn't any fun!!!

I put $375.00 (+/-) for my Fulton Armory. They are made by Criterion. Its been a shooter. I wont complain. I was going to wait on a Ranier Arms, but they were on backorder for quite awhile and I wanted to finish my build. I felt I paid what I should for a match barrel. There were more expensive, but I don't think it much matters unless you are benchrest shooting. My .02 worth.

I just mounted a scope on a factory CMMG MOD4 SA, 16" 9 twist barrel. Purchased this rifle new in about 2009. Handloaded 60 gr Vmax seem to shoot 1/2 moa groups at both 100 yd and 330 yd. I was pleasantly surprised. I believe this is a chrome-lined barrel also, which isn't known to improve barrel accuracy. Complete factory rifle cost about $630 at the time. I am a meticulous hand loader, and these bullets are known to be capable of accuracy. Maybe I got lucky. This is the only ammo I've fired for groups after having mounted a 1-4x Vortex scope on the receiver.

I wish all my bolt actions shot as well. Based on a number of the bolt action rifles I own and shoot, I agree that the odds of getting an accurate barrel improve by purchasing a custom aftermarket barrel. They certainly foul less and clean up more easily.

To be clear, I'm no experienced AR15 owner. This is the first, and only one, I've owned. Just reporting on my experience in the past 2 weeks after having finally mounted a scope on the receiver, and shooting some 60 gr Vmax ammo I loaded 3-4 years ago. Now that I know how accurate it is, I will likely be shooting it more often.

Edit: I should have mentioned that I installed an aftermarket trigger. A Geissele Super Semi-Automatic. I don't believe I could shoot this rifle this accurately with the original factory trigger.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys . . . keep it coming. I'll research all of these as they come. Building an AR sure is fun (addicting).

I've been down every road and detour you're about to endeavor upon and trust me, just go buy a Les Baer AR and be done with it. These are the most accurate AR's I have ever seen in my life. If you can't afford it then revisit it when you can. One less thing right?

Building a .223 . . . shooting for an accurate coyote slayer. I'm really interested in accuracy more so than a lot of the other paths that an AR can take. I'd like to kill coyotes out to 300 and prairie dogs out to 200. Are both of those possible?

Start rolling your eyes . . . I'm trying to do this on a budget! Aren't we all!?!?

So, with that said, I'm willing to pay for quality, but I'm NOT willing to break the bank just so I can tell guys at the range that I paid $xxxx for my barrel. I don't really know how much is reasonable to spend for a barrel . . . at what point do you hit "diminishing returns"? Is a $250 barrel really good, but a $300 barrel is actually worth the extra $50 . . . while a $400 barrel is NOT worth the jump in price . . .

Any help would be appreciated, I'd REALLY like specific recommendations like brand, model, length and contour . . .

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I appreciate the advice on that, but I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy, I like the process of doing the research, gathering opinions and making final selections in hopes that my recipe turns out well. If it doesn't, I'll try again. The input provided on all of the individual components helps me make my best guess the first time. I understand that it's not a science and that I could buy complete rifles that will shoot lights-out with none of the hassle that accompanies a build . . . but I'm enjoying the process.

AR's are the leggos of the gun world.

Since this is a bbl thread, any thoughts on breaking in a new bbl?

This is not a Krieger or any after market bbl. It is a factory 16" chrome lined.

I do have 39 rounds down the pipe.

Last fall I bought a Colt LE6920 M4 and installed a Geissele SSA-E trigger and put a Bushnell AR/223 4.5-18x40mm scope on it and it shoots MOA groups. I killed 3 deer with it here in Georgia. It wasn't accurate enough for me so I ordered a White Oak Armament 18" varmint upper with a 1 in 7" twist and having it full length fluted to save some weight. I'm hoping it will shoot less than 1/2 MOA with my reloads. Everyone that I read on chat rooms say you can not get any better for the price.

joseph

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4tx-ZzQIolw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

Attachments

• WHITE OAK ARMAMENT .png
    WHITE OAK ARMAMENT .png
    98.4 KB · Views: 83
  • woa 18" photo .png
    woa 18" photo .png
    76.5 KB · Views: 73
A fine barrel indeed. I have one as well and its easily a .5 MOA stick at any given time. I've shot in the low 3's with it.

Last fall I bought a Colt LE6920 M4 and installed a Geissele SSA-E trigger and put a Bushnell AR/223 4.5-18x40mm scope on it and it shoots MOA groups. I killed 3 deer with it here in Georgia. It wasn't accurate enough for me so I ordered a White Oak Armament 18" varmint upper with a 1 in 7" twist and having it full length fluted to save some weight. I'm hoping it will shoot less than 1/2 MOA with my reloads. Everyone that I read on chat rooms say you can not get any better for the price.

joseph

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4tx-ZzQIolw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

Thanks Joseph, exactly what I'm after, good information. I was strongly considering White Oak Armament . . . now I'm nearly sold.

Thanks Joseph, exactly what I'm after, good information. I was strongly considering White Oak Armament . . . now I'm nearly sold.

Maybe this will put you over the top.

joseph

Copy & paste this: VVVV I can't get it to embed.????

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4tx-ZzQIolw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.