Let's talk about 2 mile cartridges

Awesome Ed! So once you get the primer situation lined out the Lethal/warlord should be ready for bigger projectiles?

I've been working on my 375. My criteria are easy.
I have a 12 twist barrel so limited to bullets that will fly with a 12 twist.
I want to use a Weatherby Mark V action.

So the case diameter and bolt face should approximate a 378Wby. Turns out the 500 Jeffery, same as used by SwampLord is perfect. The base is the same, the belt on the Wby is the same as the Jeffery. So..

The case design is a 500 Jeffery necked down to 375 with a 35° shoulder. Simple. Jamison and Bertram brass are plenty strong enough.

SMK 375 350grain, 329 Hammer, Cutting Edge 325 Lazer, 330 MTH meet the bullet limits. Heavier would be better but I'd have to get a different barrel.

I'm looking to source a "bench rest" style stock. Failing that I may go with a space frame. Either way it may wind up being "barrel block". I'ts nice to have a mill and lathe.

Attachments

• Nazgul II 375 quad view.pdf
    193 KB · Views: 39
I do see it may not quite make 2 miles. Not heavy enough, not fast enough.

At 2 miles it will be 242 MOA for over 9,000 inches.

Getting a scope on 242 MOA seems like it would be quite a challenge.

Well there is always the ALS 50 DTC but it will have the same scoping problem.

chw--There is no guarantees on getting the primer we want,but we will

keep trying, but he still used relatively slow powders HBMG and RE50 and it worked.

Fred ---the Lethal and Warlord wildcats need less than half that elevation.

A Stiller/Lawton singleshot action isn't great amount more than a Weatherby

and a 1 to 9 barrel to handle 350gr Bergers be same as slower twist.

The Warlord guy will have the cases ready soon. Ed

I want to use a Weatherby Mark V action.

I'm looking to source a "bench rest" style stock. Failing that I may go with a space frame. Either way it may wind up being "barrel block". I'ts nice to have a mill and lathe.

Fred:

By space frame I'll assume you mean tube gun. I just looked at the XLR site and they do not have any Weatherby actions in their Inlet list.

A BR stock is no issue - you just order a flat top (no inlet more than possibly a barrel channel). Your smith takes it from there.

Going barrel block is also very doable, again starting with a flat top BR stock, since there are no "standards" for barrel blocks. I've never heard of or seen a barrel block in a tube gun style chassis.

chw--There is no guarantees on getting the primer we want,but we will

keep trying, but he still used relatively slow powders HBMG and RE50 and it worked.

Fred ---the Lethal and Warlord wildcats need less than half that elevation.

A Stiller/Lawton singleshot action isn't great amount more than a Weatherby

and a 1 to 9 barrel to handle 350gr Bergers be same as slower twist.

The Warlord guy will have the cases ready soon. Ed

All good. Next build. This one will be a little "milder".

Are there any spec available on the Lethal and Warlord so I can model them in QL?

Fred:

By space frame I'll assume you mean tube gun. I just looked at the XLR site and they do not have any Weatherby actions in their Inlet list.

A BR stock is no issue - you just order a flat top (no inlet more than possibly a barrel channel). Your smith takes it from there.

Going barrel block is also very doable, again starting with a flat top BR stock, since there are no "standards" for barrel blocks. I've never heard of or seen a barrel block in a tube gun style chassis.

No really a tube gun. More an erector set type frame. I have some large chunks of aluminum and a place close by that carries what ever I need. Mill, lathe, ingenuity.

Or

Inlet a benchrest stock on my own. Wood makes a mess on the mill but it will work.

I am investigating inletting a "AR" lower stubb into a bench rest stock for my ALS 50 DTC. Check back with in a couple years on that project....

Ok I understand. I'd trade a bunch cases for Wea Mark 5 action if you got extras, and can

part with one. Got to build a 585HE on one sometime to show off Weatherbys...

The 375 Warlord is 3.3" long. Base ahead of belt is .634" about 2.90" to the shoulder,

shoulder diameter .612", holds 195 gr water. The 375 Lethal of Mitchs nearly the same.

They have used about 160 gr of HBMG and RE50 powders. Both 585HE and

375 wildcats made from it hard to beat.Ed

I'm going to have to measure the bolt nose to see how much is available to accommodate .637 rim.