Lets shoot in the Wind...new 230gr Bergers at work

Good points and I agree with the limited expansion of the TTSX. I guess this validates that old saying about " no silver bullet"........

Over the past couple years we have taken lots of game from Elk, Orxy, Barbary sheep, Deer and antelope with the TTSX and have only recovered 2 bullets.

The one on the top is from a Mule Deer my son took at quartering away at 500 yds from a 30-06, 168gr TTSX and I estimate the impact velocity at about 2200fps. You can clearly see the limited expansion of the petals in this one. The Buck went about 50 yds and piled up.....500 is about max for a 30-06.

The second is from a Barbary sheep shot quartering away at 200 yds with the 30-378, 180 TTSX impact somewhere around over 3150fps....as you can imagine it basically blew him off his feet!! We recovered the shank of the bullet in the neck on the offside.

TTSX.jpg

Our furthest kill to date has been 650 yds with the 30-378 on a Oryx, shot through both soulders and kicked up dust on the other side!

Oryx.jpg

I guess the ultimate solution would be to carry the rifle loaded with TTSX bullets and have a few of the Bergers in you pocket incase that perfect longe range broadside shot presents itself.........:)

Thanks for the good discussion, this info should provide more field verification for others who are researching similar questions and looking for verified field performance.

My best Barbary Ram to date:

Barbary 2010.jpg

Cwinner, thanks for posting those pics. On the elk we recovered it was indeed a pass through and we only had a small hole to look at. Seeing the lack of expansion on those bullets I now see why. The one we never recovered I hope is still carrying the TSX in him. We gave it all we had to find him, but did not. So That one means nothing as we can not confirm bullet placement.

No bullet works all the time in all conditions. This is why I say know your bulet, what makes it work, and where it needs to be placed to preform to it's maximun potential. This is the responsibility of the hunter.

Thanks again

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.